Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suprise 650

dajarrel

I work for a public utility as a electrical team leader and the union is about to go out on strike (which I sincerely hope is avoided.) I said all that to say that my Son (who is 23 and has just really gotten into shooting) and Wife, knowing that I would probably be be locked in at the plant, gave me my birthday present early. A Dillon 650!!!. I have a 550 and will keep it for some lesser loaded calibers, but I can't explain how suprised I was. It is a completely different loader than the 550 and loads incredibly fast.

My thanks to BE for assisting my son. He said he called and talked to BE and and BE suggested what to get and even called back to make sure.

Thanks Brian.

dj

Well, I got to call Dillon today for some replacement parts. I had loaded several hundred .40S&W on my new press and had changed to 9mm. Was loading along and BOOM. I somehow managed to light off the whole tube of primers. Yes, they were Federal. I don't recall pressing any harder than I have on my 550 but apparently the 650 has more mechanical advantage. Bent the primer wheel keeper, swelled the primer magazine (still full of detonated primers) and embedded the primer follower bar in the ceiling in a crazy, kinda "Z" shape.

No injuries and I always wear safety glasses when I load.

I guess what I don't understand is how the primer fire propagated around the primer disc to set off the tube.

I've gone back and read the various threads on primer dets and there really doesn't seem to be a common denominator other than Federal primers. I may have to change to Winchester except when I am loading for my revolver.

Good news is that I wasn't on the phone 30 seconds and the guy (Dave?) said that a new assembly was on the way. Great Dillon support

dj

Dajerrel,

Sorry to hear about the smoke test of the 650.... :angry:

good to hear that only thing hurt is your ringing ears and the ceiling. <_<

Smoke test of NEW 650 - BAD :angry:

Dillon fixing you right up - GOOD :)

BE calling to check with son to see if all was in order..... GREAT :wub: (ok maybe a little too much here)

Which primer did it? the one coming down the tube and going into the disc or the one you were seating?

Hopalong

hopalong,

It was the primer that I was seating. That is what I found unusual. The fire from the primer had to travel primer to primer around seven primers to get to the tube.

I managed to salvage the brass w/primer and it looks like the anvil might not have been centered and met resistance and then "popped" into place setting off the primer.

My son started to reach up and remove the primer follower from the ceiling and I ihad him leave it. It's out in my shop so it's not real cosmetic problem but it will serve as a reminder to take a little more care seating primers.

dj

I've had numerous problems with Federal primers in the Square Deal. I won't even use 'em any more. I've had the occasional failure-to-fire (in the gun, not in the press :rolleyes:) using Winchester primers, but I can deal with that given the kind of shooting I do. Dealing with a jammed press or yet-another-broken-magazine-orifice--no way. <_<

Anyway, congrats on your new press. But, jeez, has anyone ever heard of THIS kind of freaky malfunction in a 650??!! :unsure::blink:

To answer SL: no.

To dajarrel: Hey way to go bragging about how the owner of the business called you back personally.

Now everyone will be expecting that kind of service. Next thing you know we'll be wanting him to start a shooters forum to help us learn how to shoot better and etc. :rolleyes:

I have been using Federals :wub: since 1986 and loading on a 650 :wub::wub: for over a decade and have never (knock on wood) set a primer off. :rolleyes:

I have, though, mangled, crushed, pulverized, and once had one turn sideways coming out of the tube. That one was totally destroyed by the time I hammered/indexed the primer system 8 times to get it out of press. :ph34r:

One of our club members did have this happen a few years ago on his 650. He was using Winchester SR at the time.

Kenny

P.S. I have already finished loading all of my ammo for the nationals, so I don't plan to running the press anymore until the 20th.

Does anyone have any experience with the 650 flipping primers (both sideways and upside down)? I have a new 650 (Thanks BE!) that is giving me problems. I ran through about 1500 rounds then the primer problems started. I loaded 200 rounds this morning and had 31 flipped/sideways primers.

I'm about ready to staple an IPSC target to the ceiling to see if I can get an "A" zone hit with the primer follower rod when the explosion happens.

I talked to Dillon and they suggested tightening up the primer punch which had no effect since it was already tight. Next call they suggested Winchester primers or the brass may be the issue which I doubt, the last few thousand on my SDB worked like a champ. Seems like I just need a little tweaking on something since it was working well to begin with. The shellplate seems a little snappy compared to the SDB. I've tried slowing down, speeding up, stopping in the middle before the primer press but no change.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Stew

If the shell plate is too tight (and mine will tighten up every few thousand rounds), then the plate might not rotate into perfect position. So the primer doesn't line up with the primer hole.

Make sure the shell plate is a little loose...like your sister. :P