Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV "Site Tracker" Legal in IPSC Standard??

dirtypool40

Didn't see the Q here as well...answered in the hi-jacked hate thread...

Yes it must be. STD in IPSC is no comps, no optics, must fit box with empty mag inserted cocked-and-locked. You can even fit a "*thumb rest [generic]*".

However, after reading through all these threads - is this thing realy gonna make a diff. Sight lifts out of notch, re-appears and I pull the trigger. If it moved back, sideways or in circles in the mean time - who cares??? <_<

I'm not sure I understand the question but all answers in respect of IPSC Standard Division can be found in Appendix D2 of the January 2004 Edition rulebook, and the notable rules are:

13. Optical/electronic sights permitted? (No)

14. Compensators permitted? (No)

15. Ports permitted? (No, see below)

16. A handgun in its ready condition (See Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225mm x 150mm x 45mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply, failing which Rule 6.2.5.1 will apply.

17. Neither the handgun, nor any of its attachments, nor any allied equipment (e.g. magazines or other loading devices), can extend forward of the line illustrated in Appendix F3. Any such items a Range Officer deems not to be in compliance must be safely and promptly adjusted, failing which Rule 6.2.5.1 will apply.

18. Only porting of barrels is prohibited. Slides may be ported.

So far so good Ross. Just want to know before I spend the money and show up to a major IPSC match and get told "NO HYBRID FOR YOU, GRINGO!!!".

It's like the rest of the toys, if anyone is going to have them I need to find out if they're cool. I have shot a on moving front site and it is amazingly easy to keep track of compared to our regular set up. I am no world beater (middle "M" classer) but I would be very interested to see if / how much it helps now that I have gained some proficiency. Last time I shot one I was a low "C".

BTW ROSS; Shot Barnhart's with Mick Hogan. Good to see you are working again, really nice work on his guns. Glad to have you back.

dirtypool40,

You might want to try it out again before you jump on board. Your positive experience might be attributed to "the trick of the day" that we all seem to get when we try something new.

I fired one while running the chrono at a major match recently. Every gun was new to me (running the chrono) so they were all "trick of the day guns". I didn't see anything with the non-ported hybrid that made me want to run out an get one so that I could keep up with the competition.

I was kinda unimpressed. :unsure:

Guest Larry Cazes

Seems to me like most of the movement that causes issues tracking the sight is muzzle jump and is in the vertical plane. I will have to track one down and try it but it doesnt seem intuitive that not having the blade reciprocate with the slide would be a big gain. Anyone shot one enough to give us their impression?

figured I whined loud enough, I owe it to myself to come back with a correction, or update.

I shot Jeff Gambrell's this past weekend after the match. What BENOS and the others have said is pretty accurate; it ain't that big a deal.

I remember my experiences with a hybrid from when I was pre-IPSC probably a low "C" level.

Five years later, I am a Limited Master class shooter. Not setting the world on fire by any means, but I see a little more and have better technique than I did as a "C".

The gun was nice, but I did not notice anything special about the visibility or movement of the site. Jeff says he notices the weight and softness of recoil more than the non moving sight.

I was really torn on how to go; on the one hand I figured it had to be a major advantage, but on the other Schuemann's barrels can be kind of finicky, and I know several gunsmiths who aren't crazy about them.

Personally I want some deep cut (or broached or whatever) rifleing so I can shoot anything roughly the right size and shape into a reasonable group. BARSTO and KKM qualify. AET, and all the ECM / EDM barrels make me nervous.

The AET and "sitetracker" ideas are neat, but I am going with the SIG / KISS principal and spend the rest of the bucks on ammo and practice.