Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match

fireman489

The first 2 stages I had obvious issues, the next 2 seemed ok BUT ...... what do you guys see(other than I move like a Clydesdale) ? Ive been practicing Steve Anderson's dry fire books Refinement & Repitition & Principles of Performance for the past 5 weeks before this shoot.

Thanks

Looked really good to me, better than a lot of shooters, that have been playing this game longer. May be your first match, but your not new to shooting,You looked very comfortable. Could have been the camera angle, but I would watch myself on those right to left reloads.

Congrats on your first match and some nicely run stages.

Yeh Im not totally new to it... I bought it In July of this year so Ive had some training time, plus Ive shot some IDPA. Thanks for the reload tips, the right to left was a little close to 180* but the SO said it wasnt over the line..... I need to work on that.

The RO was behind you, I would have stopped you on a 180 violation at 2:28. Unless the bays are not square, you were certainly past the 180.

You had at least 2 reloads after you shot activators and before you shot the paper. That could be planned a little tighter.

At :36, after 6 shots you could have reloaded and saved the standing reload in the port and you would have had a better foot position too. That would have saved you at :58 on the DT.

It is hard to tell, but it looks like you are grabbing mags on the reload with all four fingers together. The index finger along the front of the mag yields a faster and more precise reload.

At 1:56, if you had turned and shot the first target on the right and then done a reload after the first postion again would have saved you on the second array.

Overall nice job. Good pulling of the finger out of the trigger guard on movement.

Just a few observations. Work on getting the reload completed in 1 step. When you run your walk through try to plan your steps and foot placement so that you dont have to shuffle your feet once you get into position.

You would be amazed how much time is lost getting into and out of position inefficiently.

The night shoot looks pretty cool.

Excellant comments ! Thank you guys ... Feet are being "worked on currently Jesse, they obviously need it .....lol

BSeevers, I can email ya the results page, maybe you can decipher it & tell me if its any good ?? I'm having trouble figuring it out cause they grouped ALL shooter together in the results. I know I was the second highest in Production, but that dosnt really mean much I dont believe.

I've only been shooting for a year so you looked awesome the only thing I seen was the 180 that might have been close but if the RO didn't call it then you were fine. Now you can look forward to all the new guns and equipment that come along with this sport.

I also think the 180 would have been close. It's too hard to tell from the video though, just be aware of where your muzzle is pointing when doing reloads.

Ok...I only have just over a year shooting so take what I say with a grain of salt!

Your shooting seems smooth, which is good, but it looks like you fall into a cadence. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but just something to note.

Definitely work on your stage planning: How you're going to shoot it, when, where, and how you're going to move, and when to do reloads. Try to avoid going to slide-lock, it's a time waster.

Make sure you're getting your hits. You should be getting 90% of the stage points. If you're getting below that, you're going to fast and missing the shots. That said, shoot slow, but move fast. Transitions in and out of shooting areas should be fluid but fast.

And the last thing I saw...when you're running on the last stage from the barrel start, you put your gun down near your waist and ran. Try to keep the gun up high, near your shoulders when you run.

For your first match though, that's pretty darn impressive. FAR better than a lot of people, myself included. To this day I still mess up a lot, it's a non-stop learning experience.

Go to youtube and search for some GM's, watch what they do. I really like the video's from Rob Leatham, very informative. Now if I could only learn. :roflol: