Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sporting Rifle precision field match

http://www.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/precision/

NRA Whittington Center Sporting Rifle Match

127_2710_img.jpg

OVERVIEW

The "Sporting Rifle Match" at the NRA Whittington Center is designed to test a rifleman's skills shooting small targets from approximately 175 to 700 yards in the natural terrain, with what he can carry throughout the course.

Typical equipment used includes: a rifle capable of 1 MOA accuracy; rifle optics allowing precise hold-over for small targets from 175 - 700 yards; binoculars to spot for other shooters; and a backpack to carry water, ammunition, and a couple power bars.

The typical format is 10 stages over a 2 mile distance. Each stage typically has 6 targets to be engaged with only one shot each. Score for the match is total number of hits.

SCHEDULE

The shooters' meeting is at 7:30AM. Do not be late.

2004 SCHEDULE

* 5-16-2004

* 6-6-2004

* 7-11-2004

* 8-8-2004 (cancelled due to flooding)

* 9-5-2004

2005 SCHEDULE

TBD.

More details here:

http://www.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/precision/

This monthly match is an excellent opportunity to test your precision/sniper rig, or prepare for the ITRC.

• 3 months later...

Typical gear: Remington 700 in 6.5mm, 7mm, or 30 caliber, with a Leupold or Nightforce scope with the external elevation and windage knobs; bipod; a backpack to carry your ammo, water, a power bar, binoculars, and LRF; shooting sticks.

There is no sidearm use prescribed, although you may carry one ostensibly for snakes.

There is no set time limit. There are 10 stages, and each stage is 6 shots. We split up into squads of usually 3. The shooting order within the squad changes as you switch stages. When it's your turn, you get into position and engage the targets basically at your leisure, and the other two guys spot & score for you. Once the three shooters are done, everyone packs up their gear and they hike to the next station/stage.

We haven't had anyone do anything unsportmanslike with regard to delays, so we have no rule for it. This is a match set up primarily as a forum for long range field-style practice.

127_2709_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

127_2713_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

Cool ...

I was just thinking that if I tried this, I'd be a big delay to everyone on the hiking part and time limits would be a problem. Your format sounds about as close as I could get to something like the ITRC in Wyoming.

Part of the motivation for setting this match up was to get a place to practice the long range shooting part of the ITRC. Since the NRA W.C. won't let you show up whenever you want and shoot throughout their countryside, the match provides the logistical (and political) vehicle.

It's really a good time, especially if you show up on Saturday afternoon. I hope to see some of you there.

-z

ETA: more pictures here http://apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/Pre...ifle-2004.7.11/

What do you expect the weather conditions to be in January? How much warning is there for a canceled match? Its about 7 1/2 hrs., so would like to know we are shooting for sure. Think I have a couple of friends that might make the trip also, if not in Jan. then one of the other matches. Thanks for any info. Keith

I've never been down to Raton in Jan, but I'd expect it to be like Pueblo, but warmer..

I think we need to set a policy to call the match by either Friday night or early Sat morning. I need to discuss this with Mike and get some communication channels and procedures set up.

-z

Zak,

I will second a request for match notification. I am in Salt Lake and just starting the whole precision rifle thing. I would be willing to make the trip given that the match was assured. God knows I need the practice.

Thanks, Craig

• 2 months later...

The 2005 schedule has been posted since late Dec and is the first Sunday of every month, January - September, except July which is TBD. I'll try to post reminders here, but I don't always get to it. Again, the web-site is http://demigod.org/srm

Here are some pictures from the March 6th match:

Weather was great, wind

was tricky as usual. We were done by 1:30PM.

Sight-in on Saturday

154_5478_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

Now THAT'S a "Sporting Rifle"

154_5487_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

Age and treachery.... (note the crutch)

154_5496_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

Shooter's View

155_5512_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

The hike back

155_5514_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

By the way, the procedure for match cancellation is this:

Match cancellations will be announced on the web page ASAP before the match, ideally by Friday morning, but it could be as late as Saturday afternoon for a last-minute emergency. So...

CHECK THE WEB PAGE FOR POSSIBLE CANCELLATION ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE LEAVING.

We typically know whether or not the match will be held by Wed night, after Mike contacts the staff at the NRAWC.

154_5480_img.jpg [ link to LARGER image ]

Does that mean that my AR-10T (308 semi-auto rifle) is O.K. to shoot in this match?

I would also like to ask a couple of other things. Are the distances of the targets given to the shooter, or do they come to the shooting line and have to range find the distance then adjust the rifle to make the shot. Making a hit at a known distance is a lot easier than trying to mil-dot, range estimate and then make the shot.

Thanks

Scott Peterson

Semi-auto rifles are OK as long as they comply with the caliber restriction (6/243 - 300WM). Your AR-10T is fine. I used to shoot my JP AR10 at this match, and we've had at least 3 other AR10's show up.

In the interest of time, each squad is provided a range card which details the approximate location of each target along with its distance from the shooting position in yards.

For the first matches, people often brought their LRFs and re-ranged the targets, but I haven't done so since last summer. It would be difficult to range these using mildots since they are not of uniform size.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Zak