Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 open

landry92

I've been building my own open G22 and am just about finished. Just wanted to hear any comments or suggestions about it. Thanks -Cody

2nd Gen G22

Tungsten captured guide rod

Burris Fast fire and fast fire mount

KKM .40 threaded barrel

SJC 5-port comp

Extended Glock slide release

Extended Glock magazine release

Trigger job using lonewolf reduced power striker, plunger, and trigger springs

Scherer Slug plug

I plan on getting a mag well but do to funds I have decided to hold off. The reason being is once I do I know it will be more difficult to load my magazines with stock base pads into the gun and I do not have the money to buy all the magazine extensions I would need considering most of the ones I'm interested in range from $20 to $30 each and I have 7 magazines...

I reload fast enough for now with the slug plug so until I can get more money saved I am staying with that.

Are you reloading? What's your load?

If you're buying extensions, get two Dawson or Arredondo for the 140mm mags, then get the Taylor Freelance +8. Yeah, it's about $50 bucks, but no one said going to open division would be cheap.

I like the Dawson Ice magwell, if you're deciding on one.

I believe the factory Glock .40 22 round mags are legal for open and they can be found in the $30-35 range, with excellent reliability from what I hear. Your setup sounds pretty good and I can also highly recommend the Dawson Ice magwell when you get to it.

That was a mag well I was leaning towards as well as the dawson precision tool less magazine extensions. They look the best and are very easy to install and they come with the spring needed for the magazine. But at almost $35 an extension they aren't cheap..

the factory 22 rounders are a good value for the money. I would look at 1 Taylor freelance "big stick" extension. You can get by pretty well with 1 big stick and 2 smaller ones(factory 22 rounder or +5 extentions) and then add the other extentions as money comes avaliable. The 40 is already at a capacity disadvantage in open over the 9mm/38supers so a couple extentions help alot as with 15+1 your dry after 2 8 round arrays at slidelock

As far as your load, in the future when your budget allows, you may want to consider a powder change. Something along the lines of Autocomp, silhouette, TruBlue, IMR 7625, or VV 3N38. It'll make the comp work way better than Titegroup.

Why do these powders make the comp work better than titegroup? I've been using titegroup for a while in all my guns and I know people who have used titegroup in there comped guns for years. What do these other powders have as an advantage?

The powders I mentioned above have more gas volume which equals out to be more pressure to make the comp do what it was designed to do. I love Titegroup, but it runs very hot. I load all of my minor loads with titegroup, and a good many people here do the same thing regardless of platform.

Take what you know about loading for noncomped guns and throw it out the window. Open is a totally different beast due to the comp. With a std gun the fast powder and heavy bullet is your best bet. With an open gun, a light bullet and a slow powder is the way to go preferabley one with a sealed bottom ie CMJ or JHP. The slow powder which needs a larger charge produces more gas which makes the comp work better. The titegroup dosent work the comp near as well and feels more like a limited gun with a dot

Anyone wanting to post their open Glocks on here I that would be awesome I will try to have mine up soon.

There's a HUGE thread on here already about open Glocks with pics, and a ton of great info. I'll bump it to the top for you.

Edited by Noximus03

I started out with an open g22. I speak from experience. Shoot limited with it until you can afford to buy an STI open gun. SO SO many headaches will be avoided.

Don't try and do this by yourself. Talk to people who shoot open. If this is the first you have heard about loading differently for open, stop buying stuff and start reading more. Light bullets going fast are what open guns are designed for. Open is a razor's edge division. One reload or one makeup shot often times makes the difference between multiple overall finish places. With a heavy recoiling 40 with much less mag capacity, you will be severely disadvantaged. You are basically just shooting for fun.

Not exactly stock auto......... Just sayin....

Tungsten captured guide rod

Burris Fast fire and fast fire mount

KKM .40 threaded barrel

SJC 5-port comp

Extended Glock slide release

Extended Glock magazine release

Trigger job using lonewolf reduced power striker, plunger, and trigger springs

Look, I understand. Like I said, I had exactly the same gun with almost the exact same stupid, non open loads. 180gr bayou bullets at 208 pf.

We all needed to work on our skills early on, but most of us get into the competition part of the sport at some point.

You have almost the perfect rig already to shoot limited with. In that division, you have zero handicaps with that setup. Sell the sight and buy base pads and a magwell.

Learn things like reloads, stage breakdown, movement, etc. as you progress and save up, get the perfect stuff for the division that you really want to play in.

I didnt mean this gun was for stock auto i meant that i invest most of my time and money into shooting my G34 and being the best i can with iron sights in a stock divsion. This gun i built is just to get started with in open and have some fun.