Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTE

MC1

I used to have a big problem with going to fast and not engaging obscured targets. I thought I'd fixed the problem, yet it's started showing up again lately. Any tips on how to fix this?

This is going to sound like a cliche but you have to have a plan of action before shooting a stage and you have to stick with it. If you are speeding up enough that you are forgetting your plan, then you have to force yourself to slow down and walk the stage more purposefully.

There's no tricks. Get out there with pasters and walk the stage as you tape and figure out your plan. As others are shooting, walk the plan in your head. Know where the targets are.

You said "used to..."

Not trying to be a wise-ass (though some say I'm a natural) but did you actually fix it the first time?

Everytime I have a FTE it is because I did not fully inspect and plan the stage during the walkthrough. Most of the time it happens at a practice where there is no WSB and the stage is someone's on-the-fly creation. It does happen at club/local matches where I'm near the top of the order - not first - just near enough that I don't have quite enough prep time to get everything programmed.

My 1st one in two years was in my last match. I was the 1st or second shooter and did not see it in my walk through. It was a stage where you can see each target from multiple shooting positions and I just missed it. Was really pissed about it. All tips help, thanks.

FTE rarely happens to me but every time it has, it was because I was too lazy mentally to nail down the game plan, to memorize it. It was not that I did not have enough time to do so, I was just too lazy to focus on the game plan long enough to memorize it. I catch myself doing that at least once in every match. Usually I correct myself but when I don't, FTEs happen.

It was a stage where you can see each target from multiple shooting positions and I just missed it.

Yes, those are a real PITA because you can shoot the right number of shots and end up with 4 on one target and 0 on another. As a stage designer, I like to include one from time to time to keep people on their toes, but I have to admit that I don't like to shoot them unless I've had enough time to review.

The only advice I can offer is to use a consistent engagement strategy. It can help if you pick out the three or four locations you can stand to see each group of targets. Shooting on the move is great if you can do it and not lose track of what you have shot, but if that's an issue then just use predefined positions. And if you end up shooting a target twice, then you just have a better chance at having two A's - it's better than two misses and an FTE.

• 3 months later...

I have found having a solid stage plan in your head, going over t several times, including a couple times counting the number of shots and matchig it to the WSB has helped not forget targets. The only time it happened to me last season I did not have a solid plan, only walked the stage once (first shooter) and I didn't count shots in my plan. It wa rough because outside te six misses and three FTEs, I shot te stage well!!!(sarcasm intended)

It is hard on the memory stages where you have targets available from 2 or 3 different areas. They are all visible, the question is did you already engage it?

Stages with "hidden targets" are a different story. Count your shots and make sure it matches the WSB. If not what targets are you missing? I frequently check the stage from behind the targets. Back there all targets are visible and I can line of sight my way between it and possible shooting locations. Sometimes that is a single location and I make it a point to lock that position into my plan. There is no guarantee the the WSB is correct once it is on the ground, but usually it is close enough that you can visualize target locations as you walk through it in your mind. This means that if you walk it in your mind and see 3 targets but the diagram has 4 because of a target off to the side, you need to adjust your plan to bring that 4th target into view.