Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this production legal? (grip tape)

eric nielsen

I've shot nothing but Open & Limited for many years & don't really know the other division rules enough to see if this gun (borrowed from a friend) is legal for uspsa production with the grip tape I've put on it. It's called Powerflex, it's the same thing doctors and esp. veterinarians use to hold a bandage onto an arm or leg. If I take away the Powerflex and put one complete wrap of skateboard tape around the bottom, is that legal?

post-354-0-75100000-1353984057_thumb.jpg

Also, with a short steel guide rod, this gun weighs 27 oz empty, just under 30 with an empty mag. I think that makes weight but not sure. Factory Gun Match this weekend - if I can get a ruling on this I'd sure appreciate it, thanks!

Negative, look at the rule book it shows whet grip tape is allowed......basically just the sides of the grip and not all the way around

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

This is the paragraph just below the picture in Appendix E4:

Checkering, stippling, and/or tape may only be applied to the areas illustrated by

the dashed line boundaries which include the frontstrap and backstrap. Grip Tape

cannot be applied to any part of the slide, trigger, trigger guard, or any lever or

button. Grip Tape or Grip Sleeves cannot disengage a grip safety.

Thanks. So looking at the Appendix E4 it looks like my grip tape is okay, and looking at the approved production gun list it looks like at the official weight w/empty mag of 29 oz, my 30-oz is less than 2 oz over and so is also okay for weight. And if I put a tiny piece of skateboard tape anywhere near the take-down lever, I'd be in Open/Limited.

I used to run that same tape (likely oooold posts about it here on the forum). I can't see any issue with it, unless you really built it up and then it compresses and seems like a palm swell. Other than that, should be good. The weight of the gun (model) ought to be on the Production gun list on the USPSA rules site.

I do something fairly similar to my production gun. I use different colors of athletic tape (whatever color I have on hand black, yellow red whatever) and wrap very similarly. As high as I can without touching the trigger guard and mag release.

It greatly helps with my grip and combined with a little powder it makes a sure grip on the hottest/high humidity days.

I got a couple questions about the legality and responded with the above appendix, got an ok.