Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Blast

dubltap

I have an LR308 with 16" barrel and a Miculek brake (photo below). As the shooter, I find the blast is not too distracting (but bear in mind I wear muffs over plugs). Folks nearby may disagree. :roflol:

2011HMSLR-308Riflehorizontal.jpg

I run a miculek on my 16" ar15, and people near me just plain hate my ass when it goes off

without a doubt, I would be double plugged my concern would be about follow up shots...with a good muzzle brake (miculek, coolie, etc.) has your experience been that you can get on target quickly, the second time around? also, the weight of the gun (8.95lbs) do you feel you can manuever the rifle from target to target, ie. 3gun?

The Miculek brake works pretty well, but it is still a .308, not a .223, so there is some kick to the gun that disrupts the sight picture - not bad though. The gun puts the "heavy" into Heavy Metal too, so definitely not as nimble as an AR15, but again manageable and of course helps dampen the recoil.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Depends on what you call excessive. I was doing some long range shooting an AR15 with a Titan comp on an 18" and the people near me literally made me move as far away as I could. And they were all shooting .308's!

It's not so much the length of the barrel as what is on the end of it. I've shot near people with Class 3 short barrel AR's with a Noveske Flaming Pig on the end and there was very little blast. But I've shot near people with a 16" barrel with a PWS comp and it was quite loud.

A .308 semi auto is going to be louder than an AR15 .223 but it won't be bad. But if you put a compensator on it, be prepared for a blast.

Even with muffs over plugs, after a full match of ROing shooters with comps I have a spliting headache. Near the end of the day at a long match I can tell that my shooting suffers if I don't take regular breaks and get away from the rifle blast.

I run a Titan on a 20" AR10. It isn't bad at all in the open (for me, it is rough on bystanders, though), where it gets really loud is inside of the little houses (think kids playhouse), concrete bunkers or from inside of a vehicle. I don't notice it while I am shooting, but it will ring your ears afterward.

Hurley