Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Powder Check Alternative

When I bought my 650 (7 years ago), I didn't order the powder check die (been loading a 550 for many years and thought why spend the money ?). But then I had a KaBoom. After a lot of soul searching, It had to be the amount of powder. So I de-milled 1400 .223 rounds and weight each and every round, they were all within +/-.2. After that, I said well the powder check die would not of stopped the KaBoom. But since I do a lot of pistol rounds using Tightgroup, and the cases are way empty, I bought a Powder check die and use it for all my pistol reloading for just insurance. Now it does beep once in a while, I then weigh the powder and 99.44% of the time its a false beep. But it did catch one 40 S&W that somehow and I don't know how, that had a over charge (+1.5). I said to my self "I think I'll use it on my rifle rounds too".

Its a pain to setup, but catching just one over charge is good with me.

• 2 months later...

Bring this Alive

I just got my 650 with the powder check and have a question never loaded on the 650.

I setup as per instructions with press now the question.

When I pull the handle all the way down I hear a quick "CHIRP" and then nothing, when I look the metal tit on powder checker is in center of notch so does this mean anything? It's not a constant chirp or anything like if the shell is totally empty or total full is really quick have to real listen.

Mine does that every once in a while. I think the tit is making contact on the way to the groove. You may be able to release some of the tension on the bar that holds the powder check tight. See the picture. That might keep it from chirping to much.

post-32731-0-44848600-1380072138_thumb.j

I agree with everybody - the Powder check system works good, but its a pain in the butt to get adjusted correctly. If you only do one caliber, no problem, but I do 7 different calibers and I spend more time adjusting that system than anything else on the press.

JMHO

I agree with everybody - the Powder check system works good, but its a pain in the butt to get adjusted correctly. If you only do one caliber, no problem, but I do 7 different calibers and I spend more time adjusting that system than anything else on the press.

JMHO

That's why I put together my Powder Check "Conversions":

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html#650pcc

(They are on my 650, Caliber Conversion store page.)

JMHO

That's why I put together my Powder Check "Conversions":

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html#650pcc

(They are on my 650, Caliber Conversion store page.)

WOW Thats what I need. :bow:

• 2 weeks later...

They send 3 arbors with each powder check die. The die that the powder check mounts to is the same as the powder measure. So buy two extra "dies", then set one arbor for .223 another for 9 or 40 and the third one for 45. Now all you have to do to swap it from one tool head to another, without any adjustments, is to remove the one button head socket head cap screw that holds the PC system to the die.

They send 3 arbors with each powder check die. The die that the powder check mounts to is the same as the powder measure. So buy two extra "dies" (not entire PC system), then set one arbor for .223 another for 9 or 40 and the third one for 45 (unless you grind off half of the retaining pin for the tool head you have to remove this part to swap tool heads anyway). Now all you have to do to swap it from one tool head to another, without any adjustments, is to remove the one button head socket head cap screw that holds the PC system to the die.

Edited by jmorris