Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated HPs

Craig N

I switched to 100% Xtreme Plated Hallow Points. Started them out at the local matches, shot them at the sectional and was happy, shot them at Area 8 and was satisfied, shot them at nationals and now a firm believer. =)

I believe a lot of the problems from plated bullets stem from thin plating that tears away under higher velocity. One of the reasons I went with Xtreme is because the plating is thick. As per reps, they are good for FMJ velocities.

Berrys now has double struck IIRC.

As far as shooting, xtreme hallow points, (180 grain 40 cal) have been very accurate with N320 out of my SVI. Shoot extremely clean because of no exposed lead base. I can go 1,000 rounds without hangups because gun stays clean.

The construction of the bullets is completely different. A JHP is made in such a way that the base of the bullet is more likely to be "perfect" than an FMJ with its exposed base. This is why most people find JHPs more accurate, because the base of the bullet is critical to accuracy.

Plated hollow point rounds aren't made the same way, but having a hollow point would give them a longer bearing surface just like a JHP.

I've had good luck with plated rounds, but I haven't put them back to back against my JHPs either.

Watch the crimp closely and also watch for fouling in the barrel. With the way many plated bullets are constructed (typically softer than jacketed) it is easy to crimp too tight and deform the bullet. I have close to 800rds here from a commercial reloader that were crimped too tightly and unevenly and all of the pulled bullets show a .001-.002 decrease in size below the case neck and a slight bulge above the neck. Crimps ranged from .419 to .422 and velocities varied by 75fps. You may need a bit looser crimp for the plated rounds.

On the barrel it may just be my stock 35 barrel is fussy but I have seen much more fouling out of plated rounds than those with the heavier jacket. No issues that I can see in my KKM barrel though.

That said the Xtreme HPs that I have used have been accurate and the price is pretty decent.

Edited by Atlgentlegiant

No problems making major in .40 S&W, with 180 gr bullets you make 175 PF at 972 fps, that's well under the 1200-1250 fps limit.

You will likely not see the same accuracy as a high quality JHP, but you aren't paying that price either.

Berry's 155 hollow base truncated cone has been okay in my Glock 23, not very good in my M&P Pro, and a TACK DRIVER in my M&P Shield (good 25 yrd groups!)

Not at

I've heard it's hard to get plated bullets to the speeds needed for making major. Pressure issues and loss of accuracy namely the issues. Anyone have experience with this?

Not at all with Rainiers. Easy very easy to make major. I switched from MG to Rainiers after I had to borrow some Rainiers. Made power easier, lees powder. And are very accurate!

Not at

I've heard it's hard to get plated bullets to the speeds needed for making major. Pressure issues and loss of accuracy namely the issues. Anyone have experience with this?

Not at all with Rainiers. Easy very easy to make major. I switched from MG to Rainiers after I had to borrow some Rainiers. Made power easier, lees powder. And are very accurate!

No problems making major in .40 S&W, with 180 gr bullets you make 175 PF at 972 fps, that's well under the 1200-1250 fps limit.

You will likely not see the same accuracy as a high quality JHP, but you aren't paying that price either.

Berry's 155 hollow base truncated cone has been okay in my Glock 23, not very good in my M&P Pro, and a TACK DRIVER in my M&P Shield (good 25 yrd groups!)

Great to hear! I've been shooting 165 gr Rainiers for a while now in IDPA and USPSA Production and have been very happy with them in a 135 pf .40 load but was wondering if I would have a hard time making power if I wanted to start shooting Limited Major. Might have to bump up to the 180 gr and work up a load, but I can handle that. Thanks for the info guys

This is very false. I had a harder time making the 165pf with MG than the Rainiers 180's & 165's. Thanks