Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If You Could Only Keep One......

the 550 will over time be the better investment. Having to sell any equipment is hard. However reap the benefit of selling the 1050. You still have the 550 and will be surprised how much use it will actually get. I have yet to see any reloading equipment or components on CL or most gun forums last longer than 2-3 days.

Best of luck and wish you well what ever choice yo umake.

It was too late for me to call and confirm that I was spreading misinformation and don't remember who had one and what they couldn't get at the time.

All I found was this thread from '03, looks like at the time you could still get everything just may have to wait for some parts.

http://www.brianenos...?showtopic=7554

No worries. This is a post from Dillion toward the end of your referenced thread...

Fellow 1050 users,

Everybody take a deep breath and relax. Almost all 1050 parts interchange with the Super 1050. The only parts that don't are the crank, journal,mainshaft, and bearings. These parts may occasionally run out, as they are now very low usage.If you periodically lube your 1050, these parts should last in excess of three million rounds. As these parts run out, we will order small quantities of them.Dillon has no plans to discontinue offering these parts! All of the more frequently used parts, primarily priming system and caliber conversion parts, toolheads, casefeed parts, all interchange with the Super 1050. Okay, breathe out. smile.gif

Well, the polls are overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the 550, and that's what I'm going to do. I sold my 1050 and now just need to get a #5 shell plate for the 550 and I'm good to go (don't know what I did with it???). Gotta say, I'll feel like I've got "more" with the 550 once I have all my tool heads set up with dies and powder measures on stands. The idea of the 1050 is nice, but I accept the fact that the higher capacity is great only if you can afford to shoot that much. I'm grateful to have what I've got, and can still load a weeks worth of ammo in an hour. And best of all, I'm not out in the garage looking at a red press on my bench. :P Thanks for all of your input, and taking the time to help me make a hard decision.

Well, the polls are overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the 550, and that's what I'm going to do. I sold my 1050 and now just need to get a #5 shell plate for the 550 and I'm good to go (don't know what I did with it???). Gotta say, I'll feel like I've got "more" with the 550 once I have all my tool heads set up with dies and powder measures on stands. The idea of the 1050 is nice, but I accept the fact that the higher capacity is great only if you can afford to shoot that much. I'm grateful to have what I've got, and can still load a weeks worth of ammo in an hour. And best of all, I'm not out in the garage looking at a red press on my bench. :P Thanks for all of your input, and taking the time to help me make a hard decision.

Good decision. However I have a red and a blue press and I'm not stupid enough to bash either. Now you'll have to excuse me while I go out shooting the ammo I made on my horrible red press while you stare at your blue press just sitting there.. Lol

Good decision. However I have a red and a blue press and I'm not stupid enough to bash either. Now you'll have to excuse me while I go out shooting the ammo I made on my horrible red press while you stare at your blue press just sitting there.. Lol

WOW, guy states an opinion about something you own and you call it stupid? Take the block off your shoulder, this forum is not for that kind of thing.

WOW, guy states an opinion about something you own and you call it stupid? Take the block off your shoulder, this forum is not for that kind of thing.

WOW, I dont think I called his opinion stupid. I said I'M not stupid enough to bash either press. Where you get that I'm insulting him is beyond me. The word I'M refers to myself doesnt it? Reading is fundamental.

WOW, I dont think I called his opinion stupid. I said I'M not stupid enough to bash either press. Where you get that I'm insulting him is beyond me. The word I'M refers to myself doesnt it? Reading is fundamental.

Stupid? No, I'm actually quite intelligent. Tactful? Maybe misconstrued as not so much but be that as it may, this is a "Blue Kool Aid" site and I'm probably not the first one to make a playful jab at the red side. Baba, maybe you should start your own poll, "If I Could Only Keep One..."

How about something completely different? Sell them both.

Then buy a 650. Best features of both of your current presses. Afterall you state that you can't afford bullets to load. Keep your dies and some of the money back, and find a used 650 for a discount. When you are back in the game you're all set with an awesome setup.

Edited by Shadowrider

How about something completely different? Sell them both.

Then buy a 650. Best features of both of your current presses.

I thought about that and looked at the economics, and other than speed and the case feeder, I decided that it was best to keep the 550 and sell the 1050. I don't plan on being down for long, and it was only a short 3 years ago that I had no guns, no reloading equipment, no ammunition. Such is the life of an entrepreneur. In the grand scheme of things, having to "settle" for a Mac Daddy 550 isn't such a sacrifice. The 550 will still load way more ammo than I can afford at the moment so no big deal. I am blessed.

I see that nobody addressed the question of how common is crimped .40 brass. I think the answer is that it does not exist. My understanding is that the crimp is for military (read sub gun) use, and I'm not aware of any .40 sub guns. Unfortunately 9mm and .45 crimped brass is common.

Best of luck.

PGG

I see that nobody addressed the question of how common is crimped .40 brass. I think the answer is that it does not exist. My understanding is that the crimp is for military (read sub gun) use, and I'm not aware of any .40 sub guns. Unfortunately 9mm and .45 crimped brass is common.

Best of luck.

PGG

There is .40 brass that is crimped. It's either Federal or Winchester NT ammo. Theres not a lot of it, but I've had to cull it from my brass.

• 2 weeks later...

Best of luck.

PGG

There is .40 brass that is crimped. It's either Federal or Winchester NT ammo. Theres not a lot of it, but I've had to cull it from my brass.

Yes, I have run into it processing brass picked from LEO ranges, they seem to have a lot of it. And another thing, my 550 will actually more often then not sneak a CCI SP primer past the crimp during relaoding and I never really know except by the slight different feel of the primer seating. Try that with another type of press.