Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Technique Book

Ben Stoeger

In a few weeks I am going to get going on a handgun technique book. I don’t think that I can incorporate video into it, but any ideas you guys have would be appreciated. All the feedback I got on the other book (both before release and after) is helping to mold this into something that shooter folk actually want.

It will be both Ebook format and Softcover. It will likely be split into 2 volumes (due to the length it will be and a way to segregate the competition only movement techniques).

So, ideas, suggestions, things that should be covered, etc: If there is something you want in there let me know.

Who is your audience? The D, C, B shooter? The A, M shooter? Or everyone?

Going to be interesting on how you approach technique without video that hasn't been covered by "Practical Shooting" or others. From a fairly new shooter, I would like to see a section on some of the areas where most people make mistakes in getting to a 1 second draw, 1 second reload, 0.2 sec transition, etc. and how do you break through the plateaus.

I think the lower ranked shooters (me included) lose a lot of time in breaking the first shot of every string. I would like to see some technique that addresses this issue.

I think your previous EBook did well with the PAR times for the drills. I would like to also see PAR times (and accuracy requirements) for various movement and shooting techniques.

I think your definition of efficient versus fast and some examples would help the lower ranked shooters.

I would like to see a few stage planning thought processes for a production shooter including the risk/reward analysis.

Who is your audience? The D, C, B shooter? The A, M shooter? Or everyone?

The audience will be wider than USPSA. I am going to approach technical questions from the point of view of a USPSA shooter (removing "defensive" considerations). I am also going to address the same sorts of questions that get asked all the time like "how do I release the slide after I reload" but do it from a speed/accuracy point of view only.

I also want there to be ways to measure what a "good" draw is... and what "good" trigger control is, along with addressing common mistakes and then giving a way to improve

In a few weeks I am going to get going on a handgun technique book. I don’t think that I can incorporate video into it, but any ideas you guys have would be appreciated. All the feedback I got on the other book (both before release and after) is helping to mold this into something that shooter folk actually want.

It will be both Ebook format and Softcover. It will likely be split into 2 volumes (due to the length it will be and a way to segregate the competition only movement techniques).

So, ideas, suggestions, things that should be covered, etc: If there is something you want in there let me know.

What would be great is a book that shows technique as way of expressing strong fundamentals. When I started and read Brians book I did not know what fundamentals were. I would go to IPSC matchs and watch other shooters and try to copy what I thought the good shooters were doing, but I did not have any thought process as to why. I wasted a lot of time and picked up a lot of bad habits trying to pace myself with other shooters. When I heard some shooters say have visual patience, see what you need to see, shoot without tension, neutral grip ect. I had know idea what any of that ment, most of them did not either they just hosed. I was trying to learn how to best shoot a stage without knowing how to shoot. I would shoot a stage and not remember seeing my front sight. Thankfully Toolguy saw I was frustrated and advised be that without an understanding of the fundamentals I would not improve. Trying to build strong fundamentals is hard, 50 rounds with good concentration can mentally wear you out. And it's not like riding a bike you must practice constantly to keep sharp. A book backed with videos about the dance steps involved with shooting a stage efficiently through application of strong fundamentals would almost be like having a coach.

For a beginner in a game where speed is rewarded fundamentals are a hard sell.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see chapters that cover some of the hurdles faced by shooters of my ability, What does it take to make A class, M class, GM etc? . At my level I am working on things that someone in a lower class may not be ready for. Kind of like learing to walk before you run. While fundamentals may apply to everyone, the necessary skills and drills to achieve a goal may differ. I saw a video of yours on You Tube about Dynamic Entry,, That was good stuff, and would be worthwhile putting it into words. Also, since you shoot and obviously mastered the DA/SA trigger, why not have a chapter in there on how others can shoot this platform well, tips, techniques etc.

Also, I would NOT be interested in reading a section on equipment. Ammo reloading, positioning of your holster and mag pouches ok.. Specifics re what gun, holster, and others items is too shooter specific, and as we know, dont make the shooter.

Good luck

Edited by Sac Law Man

I would like to see chapters that cover some of the hurdles faced by shooters of my ability, What does it take to make A class, M class, GM etc? . At my level I am working on things that someone in a lower class may not be ready for. Kind of like learing to walk before you run. While fundamentals may apply to everyone, the necessary skills and drills to achieve a goal may differ. I saw a video of yours on You Tube about Dynamic Entry,, That was good stuff, and would be worthwhile putting it into words. Also, since you shoot and obviously mastered the DA/SA trigger, why not have a chapter in there on how others can shoot this platform well, tips, techniques etc.

What do you feel lower class shooters may not be ready for?

You have some good ideas for sure.

The book has come along well, it is currently out to a few people for feedback and is about double the length of the first one! I got derailed on this project a little by putting together a dryfire manual....

You should put out a supplemental DVD. Showing technique and citing page #'s and which book. Now you can bundle. Bundling is good according to the chubby American Picker guy.

Any way, do it yourself, reference it in the books, like....

For the companion DVD which demonstrates such and such send check or money order to....blah blah blah.

Got your first book, thanks, it's good. I like it a lot.

A open shooter.

Ben,

I would think lower class shooters would need to solidify fundamentals, the basics (What are the basics).. I like the idea of setting par times to drills, but its important that a C class shooter not think it's realistic or worth their time to try and shoot a sub 5 second El Prez. The skills required to accomplish this take time. I think prepping the trigger is also an advanced skill, especially during rapid fire. Am I making sense?