Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blew a primer in my S1050

It finally happened! My 1050 had jammed on the upstroke. As usual, I cleared all the stations except station 4 then turned the shellplate so I could remove that case and flash, pop! Ears ringing and wife running from the other end of he house. I believe the primer was not seated all the way for some reason and when I turned the shellplate it popped. I always wear safety glasses when loading but I'm going to start wearing my electronic muffs or plugs as SOP when loading from now on.

Edited by blueeyedme

No injuries. The nice thing about the 1050 design is the priming station is away from other primers. Had it happened on my old 650 it might have blown the whole tube.

As far as I can tell, it was the primer in the case that blew and it popped between stations 4 & 5 on what would be the upstroke and not one the downstroke as one might expect with the 1050.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I lit off two primer tubes on a 1050. "Primer residue" on the primer bar along with a new primer pressing into a primed case did the trick...twice! Wear your glasses!

Glad you are ok.

• 3 weeks later...

I just broke down and got my first Super 1050 to try out for .223. I've been loading on a RCBS Pro2000 for years (~180k rounds total) with never a single safety issue. Primer detonations are about impossible on the RCBS with the primer strips. Reading about these tube explosions on the Dillions is not very confidence inspiring.

They build them sturdy for a reason. :roflol:

I haven't lit one off in my 1050 YET but I'm sure I will soon.

I blew about 5 in my 650 over several years.

It's a hell of a way to get your attention.

I think wearing muffs is taking things a little too far though.

I got to blow my first one off in my 1050 last week......I had a bad primer pocket and I tried to force it.....not a good idea.....scared me more than anything since I am reloading out of my fifth wheel on a job......it was loud!!

Edited by OffshoreMan72

I don't know about that - It rang my ears for a good bit afterwards and no doubt caused some permanent hearing damage. At my age, I need to keep all the hearing I have. :)

I don't know about that - It rang my ears for a good bit afterwards and no doubt caused some permanent hearing damage. At my age, I need to keep all the hearing I have. :)

Along that line, you could argue that wearing muffs or plugs or listening to some jacked in music might also help keep you from other noise distractions that can lead to reloading errors.

I once smacked a damaged primer with a hammer on the concrete floor of my work area to see if it would go off. It did, and my ears were pretty much in the same state as BEM's.