Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag catch issues?

SN13

I have 3 SVI mags (2 short, 1 tall) and one short STI mag. All for 9mm.

The STI and Big SVI lock in perfectly, the two short SVI's catch but the screw-side of the mag-catch doesn't seem to close flush.

The mag catch slots all look the same and at the same height, what should i check to alleviate the problem?

Edited by SN13

If the two where the catch protrudes slightly work ok, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. You might check and see if the two mags are slightly longer - front to back - which might allow them to ride on the catch, also check the corners at the front of the mags and see how they compare to the others.

Are the mags empty or fully loaded? If empty I would look at ever so slightly modifying the hole in the mag so it locks all the way in. I have seen mags that fit sitting beside mags that don't and there is no noticable difference in the hole size or location. It only takes like a billionth of an inch to make a difference.

If they are fully loaded what happens if you download them by one round?

How do i pull out the mag catch on an STI? Just take out that screw on the non-push side?

I think the slot in the mags doesnt extend towards their centerline as far as it should (Comparing the big SVI to the small SVI's)

Just checking on the screw... making sure there are no secerets to the dismantling of the mag catch

As I suspected, the mag catch slots on the short sticks are shallower (in relation to the centerline). I'll have to deepen them slightly....

Also, I thought it was a mag catch issue but even with the mag catch out of the gun, the short sticks are not dropping free....

As I suspected, the mag catch slots on the short sticks are shallower (in relation to the centerline). I'll have to deepen them slightly....

Also, I thought it was a mag catch issue but even with the mag catch out of the gun, the short sticks are not dropping free....

Yeah, you have the newer style SV mags. They are going to need tuned to get them to drop free. They need squeezed and reshaped a little.

Or you may be able to open up the grip a little as well. But I'll bet you need to get the mags worked on to fit properly and drop free.

Yes, it appears the two short sticks are the NEW SVI mags, while the big SVI and short STI are fine.

I'm sorry, but that is annoyingly stupid for SVI.... way to shrink your market.....

Good news. I figured it out. The Main spring housing was "binding" the mag when it was fully seated. A tiny bit of light sanding on the rear of the magwell and all the mags are dropping free!

The mag catch issue is next, I will just modify the mag catch per my much more knowledgeable 2011 counterpart.

The mag catch I have is an STI. I widened the flat between the catch and the button. i also relieved the flat area about 1mm to avoid rubbing the mags.

Everything is dropping free!