Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights for a 686 SSR

euanga

I recently purchased a used 686 for IDPA(my first revolver). The previous owner had replaced the factory sights. The rear is ok but I prefer an adjustable, the front blade is much wider than I am used to (I run a Dawson Fiber 0.100 on my Semi-Auto's). The gun will primarily be used for IDPA shooting so a max distance of 35 yrds, I'd like to try ICORE at some point so rarely out to 50 as well

Looking around Bowen Classic Arms, Rough Country sights seem to be popular for an adjustable rear, but I am torn between the Square-Notch/White-Outline and the target sights. The target are closest to the Bomar style rears I tend to run but in the pics the notch looks narrow and I worry about a pure target sight at speed in IDPA and ICORE. The square cut notch looks good though I would probably black out the white outline as I don't shoot anything else with that stye of sight.

My big question (despite having tried to use their S & W sight height page) is what height of sight is the right one for the 686 SSR for a factory point of impact?

So now onto the front sight, I see Dawson have a Pro Series Front Sight that would be a match for my Semi Autos, but I had read a number of people using Hi-Viz fronts for S&W Revolvers. They have a SW3000 that looks like the right type.

Again I am looking for for the size/style recomendation as Dawson and Hi-Viz height options seem really different

Any feedback/advice gratefully received.

-Euan

I recently purchased a used 686 for IDPA(my first revolver). The previous owner had replaced the factory sights. The rear is ok but I prefer an adjustable, the front blade is much wider than I am used to (I run a Dawson Fiber 0.100 on my Semi-Auto's). The gun will primarily be used for IDPA shooting so a max distance of 35 yrds, I'd like to try ICORE at some point so rarely out to 50 as well

Looking around Bowen Classic Arms, Rough Country sights seem to be popular for an adjustable rear, but I am torn between the Square-Notch/White-Outline and the target sights. The target are closest to the Bomar style rears I tend to run but in the pics the notch looks narrow and I worry about a pure target sight at speed in IDPA and ICORE. The square cut notch looks good though I would probably black out the white outline as I don't shoot anything else with that stye of sight.

My big question (despite having tried to use their S & W sight height page) is what height of sight is the right one for the 686 SSR for a factory point of impact?

So now onto the front sight, I see Dawson have a Pro Series Front Sight that would be a match for my Semi Autos, but I had read a number of people using Hi-Viz fronts for S&W Revolvers. They have a SW3000 that looks like the right type.

Again I am looking for for the size/style recomendation as Dawson and Hi-Viz height options seem really different

Any feedback/advice gratefully received.

-Euan

Check out Protocol Design's fiber optic set ups for Smith revolvers, he is a vendor here and is very knowledgeable.

I am running the Hi-Viz sights on my 610 and my 617 and have no problems with them. I am getting a new sight put on my 66 and was going to put on another Hi-Viz but decided to go with the XS tritium front sight since that is my IDPA SSR revolver and those will help with those pesky low light matches. All of my guns are running the factory rear adjustable sights.

I use with great satisfaction a 686 SSR in IDPA & ICORE and I love the LPA rear sight with

SDM fiber optic front sight 0.300 (0.250 is good for standard rear, but too short for LPA)

In the first photo I have also the LPA front but after, I install a SDM like in the last.

post-27397-0-07825600-1352324054_thumb.j

post-27397-0-74283900-1352324072_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...