Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of dumping my 1100 tac 4

Prariedog

As the title says, I am thinking of dumping my 1100 tac 4 for a Mossberg 930 JM pro. I would love to pick up a versa max but I can't justify the price. The 1100 is box stock. I considered putting in a DWM easyloader but I am not really excited with messing with it if the 930 is a much better improvement over the 1100 in function and reliability. As I have not shot the Mossberg, input would be appreciated if I should dump my 1100. Thanks.

There are so many great 3-gun style shotguns out there right now. You'd be hard pressed to not end up with something much nicer than the 1100. I've got several friends that have the JM Pro shotguns and love them. One of the guys swears that the Mossberg has much more recoil than my FN SLP Mk1. I've not shot them side by side so I can confirm or deny his statements.

If you really want a Versa, it's a long way to spring, eat a few less Big Mac's and put a little aside every week. Come the start of the new 3g season you will be 10# lighter and have a brand new shotgun. :surprise:

It took me 9 mos to put together all the parts I needed for a 1st class AR, but I have it now.

One guy I shoot with just got a brand new Versa for under $1100, and put 425 rounds through it first day out with out a single hiccup of any kind. A couple of ladies who went along shot it said they had fun and it had very little recoil. When ladies like a shotgun, you know it has to be good!!

Tar

If you really want a Versa, it's a long way to spring, eat a few less Big Mac's and put a little aside every week. Come the start of the new 3g season you will be 10# lighter and have a brand new shotgun. :surprise:

Do you know me? No need to get personal. Because I was told weight tames recoil :)

You got a point about saving, between off road trucks, guns, and kids my money is spoken for. Maybe time to thin the herd to pay for some higher quality firearms.

You got a point about saving, between off road trucks, guns, and kids my money is spoken for. Maybe time to thin the herd to pay for some higher quality firearms.

Yeah but will the wife really let you get rid of the kids? :D

Drop the 1100. I had one, broke something after I didn't get the round all the way in the tube and it got stuck under the bolt. Broke a very small piece in the lifter/trigger group that was hard to find and caused a malf intermittently. I bought a brand new trigger/lifter group and sold it, never looked back. Thin the heard if youre serious about competing, get the right gear. I picked up an FN SLP and ran it out of the box for awhile before I started modifying it. This is a great sport win great people, I can't tell you how many times I've barrowed a gun waiting for mine and then loaned it out once I got it.

Drop the 1100. I had one, broke something after I didn't get the round all the way in the tube and it got stuck under the bolt. Broke a very small piece in the lifter/trigger group that was hard to find and caused a malf intermittently. I bought a brand new trigger/lifter group and sold it, never looked back. Thin the heard if youre serious about competing, get the right gear. I picked up an FN SLP and ran it out of the box for awhile before I started modifying it. This is a great sport win great people, I can't tell you how many times I've barrowed a gun waiting for mine and then loaned it out once I got it.

After reading some of the other threads and checking prices I think I am going to save my pennies towards a Versa Max. Thanks for the input. Need to get the post count up so that I can post in the for sale forum.

I used an 11-87 for 15 years. It treated me really well provided I kept it clean and replaced parts proactively before they failed - send me a PM if you would like to know the secrets of my success :devil: .

Last year I switched to a Versa Max because it was the first gun to come out that I felt would be a significant improvement on my 11-87. If you can't afford a Versa Max, I recommend you save your money and keep running the 1100. Adding an EZ Loader is cheap and really improves performance. As mentioned above, put the money you would have spent on the 930 in a jar, add a few bucks each week, and before you know it you will be able to afford a Versa Max.

After reading some of the other threads and checking prices I think I am going to save my pennies towards a Versa Max. Thanks for the input. Need to get the post count up so that I can post in the for sale forum.

Get the kids a paper route and tell them your holding the money for them for college... :devil:

Just kidding of course.

But seriously, I think your making a great choice. Sell the 1100, add the money for a 930 to it, save a little more and your there. If you want the name of the place my shooting bud got his Versa for $1100 let me know. He got a 22" and he told me it was closer to 450 rounds the first day, using cheep ammo, and not a single hiccup. This shotgun is worth the coin. Only odd thing about it is the lifter which hangs down from the bottom of the receiver just a tad, and as a fork on the tube end of it that is cleverly designed to lacerate fingers and, or thumbs. :surprise:

People like StealthyBlagga can make an 1100 run. I never liked the idea of having to nurse a shotgun along. When I think of a shotgun I think of a gun that when something goes "thump in the night," I can roll out of bed and be VERY sure that gun will shoot when needed. That description does not seem to fit an 1100. Many love them dearly, I'm not one. Won't deny it was a ground breaker, but so was the Modle T. 3gun takes a very reliable gun, Versa's, Bennelli's, this kind of stuff fits the bill.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

• 5 months later...

I just ditched my Tac 4 and ordered a Versa. I really enjoyed my Tac 4 after I put the EZ loader on it. I never had an issue, my main complaint is the loading gate. That whole area is too small. I watched a video on YouTube comparing the most popular 3 gun shotguns and when it came to the loading gate my choice was clear. The VM gate was gigantic compared to the 930 pro and M2. The low recoil was a bonus. So I sold my 1100 Tac 4 and looking to the top tier of autoloaders.

Funny to see this topic come back up. I sold my 1100, ordered a JM Pro, it took to long to get here and when I stopped by Turners they had a Versa Max in stock. I transferred my deposit to the VM. Just another week and I can pick it up. (I live in Kalifornia) so I get to wait. Anyways looking forward to getting and putting rounds down range. Now I should be able to miss at a higher rate than before but at least I will look good doing it! :roflol:

I brought this conversation back up cause I shoot the 1100 Tac 4. This week I sold the 1100 and picked up the Versa. I had the EZ loader on my 1100 and I loaded it decently quick and I never had an issue and I liked it. My only complaint was the o-ring system and the load gate was too small. So I ventured to the Versa Max I shot my new Versa Max today and I was not happy. It needs tons of work to load it with ease. This shell latch is terrible and it feels like I need to shove my thumb inside the magtube just for the shell latch to click and hold the shell. The carrier is an issue which we already known ahead of time. The recoil reduction is not that noticable compared to the 1100. Just my opinions though, I do like the shotgun but needs some tweaking to make it a easy loading 3 gun shotgun.