Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EzWinScore To Practiscore Conversion Utility

jcwren

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm a big believer in using EzWinScore to set up the match registration and stages, and then transferring that to Practiscore. While Practiscore is great for scoring the actual match, it's still difficult to balance squads evenly when you're combining online registration and walk-ups. Registering people directly in Practiscore also doesn't get them back into your EZWS masternames database, which many groups rely on for email distribution lists, etc. Finally, if you're using the USPSA's online squadding service, EzWinScore is mandatory.

Ultimately, the current state of integration between online registration, EzWinScore and Practiscore just isn't seamless yet. My goal is to provide a set of utilities to overcome this lack of integration and encourage clubs to switch away from antiquated tree-killing eco-terrorist paper scoring, and move into the digital world. Besides saving trees, shooters really enjoy getting getting complete scores at the end of the match, mid-match updates, and save whomever does EzWinScore data entry HOURS of time.

I've written ezws2ps, a Windows-based utility that converts the EzWinScore match database directly to a Practiscore match file, transferring registration, stages and scores (or any valid combination). It's simple to use, very lightweight (doesn't require an installer, extra DLLs, etc. The only prerequisite is that EzWinScore is already installed on the machine), and hopefully, bug-free. It can be run as a Windows GUI application or from a command line (if you're old-school, like me). ezws2ps also tries to be helpful by remembering the last EZWS database and Practiscore match file names and conversion options selected.

I've used it for 2 matches in our area, and converted a number of large matches (such as Georgia State 2012) for testing with 100% success.

If you'd like to give it a spin, you can start here at its home page, or you can download the zip file from here (the zip file contains only ezws2ps.exe and a README.txt file (which is not yet completed)).

I've tried to document the heck out of this, and to make it as easy as possible to use. I've also provided detailed step by step instructions for transferring Practiscore match files from a PC to Android and iOS devices (the iOS documentation is still under construction, but should be finished shortly).

If there are any questions, feel free to email me at jcwren@jcwren.com.

If you're interested in using online registration, we use Shoot'n Score it. To get the SSI registration into EzWinScore, use the ssi2ezws conversion utility. There's also the ssi2ps conversion utility, that takes a match from SSI straight into Practiscore.

The next program on the list is 'ps2ezws', that will create a complete EzWinScore database from a Practiscore match file.

I've really had no problems in tests exporting data from EZWS and importing into PS but if you can simplify this, so much the better.

One thing I was working on but never had time to finish has to do with squadding. I see this as being the one thing that is the most awkward and potentially time consuming. Here is a simple view of what I was considering.

After the data is all into EZWS and exported, and before it's imported into PS, there needs to be a simple way to squad people. We do pre-registration so I already have a list of most of the registered people along with their Competitor#. New people added on match day can have their number written down. So at that point, you only need some kind of software that you can enter the Competitor# and Squad# and update the exported file with that.

I already have this working in a database but that would not be practical for use by anyone else because it's too expensive a solution. But for anyone who can code something VB or C++, this would be simple.

I've really had no problems in tests exporting data from EZWS and importing into PS but if you can simplify this, so much the better.

One thing I was working on but never had time to finish has to do with squadding. I see this as being the one thing that is the most awkward and potentially time consuming. Here is a simple view of what I was considering.

After the data is all into EZWS and exported, and before it's imported into PS, there needs to be a simple way to squad people. We do pre-registration so I already have a list of most of the registered people along with their Competitor#. New people added on match day can have their number written down. So at that point, you only need some kind of software that you can enter the Competitor# and Squad# and update the exported file with that.

I already have this working in a database but that would not be practical for use by anyone else because it's too expensive a solution. But for anyone who can code something VB or C++, this would be simple.

Yea, but if you're already using EZWS, why bother? One of the things it does do well is the squadding management.

BTW, while it's simple enough to export data out of EZWS, it's at least a two step process (competitors and stages), there's no way to export scores (should one desired to do that), and the rather limited Palm interface doesn't export things like the shooter's class. With this export, you get EVERYTHING that's common between EZWS and Practiscore, unfiltered by the limitations of the Palm interface.

Edited by jcwren

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having a problem here - my NST do not show the root directories under windows explorer. Any ideas? I only see the standard NOOK libraries thus I cannot transfer the .psc file to the NST.

Nevermind - I figured it out... Dumb dumb. Just add it to the file space - toda there it is...

Edited by ctay

• 1 month later...

Can someone point me to the Pratiscore to Ezwin utility? I have Pratiscore App Exporter installed on my computer but I can't for the life of me find the install file so I can install on the club laptop.

ps2ezws don't exist yet. The only option is to export the stages and scores from PS (from the Sync tab), and then import those into a match defined in EzWinScore.

The utilities that do exist are:

1. ezws2ps - Convert an EzWinScore match to an importable Practiscore match file
  2. ssi2ezws - Convert a match defined in Shoot'n'Score It to a format suitable for import into EzWinScore
  3. ssi2ps - Convert a match defined in Shoot'n'Score It to an importable Practiscore match file

ps2ezws is something that's in the works, after I get Real Work and some contracting work off my plate.

I was doing some testing with the whole match process today getting ready for the next match this Saturday and I couldn't get the ezws2ps converted EzWinScore match .psc file to import properly in PractiScore. The only thing that has changed is me upgrading the PractiScore program from version 1.0.12 to 1.0.15. When I attempt to import the .psc file it says "Successfully Imported Match: null". Then when i go to validate the stages or registration it is blank. The Match Name in the "Change Match" section is also blank.

I think that this new version of PractiScore has been changed in how it expects the .psc file data to show up or something like that.

Has anyone else run into this same issue?

I was doing some testing with the whole match process today getting ready for the next match this Saturday and I couldn't get the ezws2ps converted EzWinScore match .psc file to import properly in PractiScore. The only thing that has changed is me upgrading the PractiScore program from version 1.0.12 to 1.0.15. When I attempt to import the .psc file it says "Successfully Imported Match: null". Then when i go to validate the stages or registration it is blank. The Match Name in the "Change Match" section is also blank.

I think that this new version of PractiScore has been changed in how it expects the .psc file data to show up or something like that.

Has anyone else run into this same issue?

It's an issue with 1.0.15. It won't even import files you've exported with itself. A bug report has been filed.

Edited by jcwren

Crap. That ought to make Saturday interesting.

Two possible work-arounds. If you can sync to an iOS device, and then sync your Android devices against that. Or, load one of the Android devices with 1.0.12 (I have the older .apk's, if you need them), export the match to it, then sync the 1.0.15 devices against it.

Thanks for the update.

My work around is to change the stage creation and registration strategy. Instead of creating the stages on EzWinScore, I will create the stages in PractiScore. On EzWinScore I will create a new match, but NOT setup stages. I will only perform the competitor registration process on EzWinScore then export the registration creating a PSS.txt file. Then transfer the PSS.txt file to the Nook and use PractiScore to import the registration by using the "Import Match Registration" feature. This will pull the EzWinScore registered shooters into PractiScore. Once that is done I will sync with all of the other Nooks used for the match. Score the match then use the PractiScore App Exporter to pull the results & stages up to the PC then on EzWinScore import the data. In order for this to work properly you need to make sure that on the "Match Information" screen the "Handheld overrides EzWinScore" setting is changed to "Yes". This will allow the stages to get propagated into EzWinScore.

I believe that "Handheld overrides EzWinScore" only affects the handheld overwriting existing scores. You have to use Match->Handheld->Import Stages to get the stages over.

It's also not required to use the Practiscore Importer application. You just use the "Export Match Stages & Scores" on the "Sync" tab to generate the .zip file with the stages and registration.

• 2 months later...

1. Can I assume that this has been replaced by the v1.0.1 utility that can be downloaded from the Practiscore web site?

2. Do the instructions for this version still apply to the new version?

3. In the instructions, it says that to transfer to a Nook via USB, you "Double-click into the 'x' folder". This repeats three times. There is no such folder so I'm guessing that there should be some real folder names in place of the 'x'. Anyone know what they are?

1. Can I assume that this has been replaced by the v1.0.1 utility that can be downloaded from the Practiscore web site?

No, the utility on their website is completely unrelated.

2. Do the instructions for this version still apply to the new version?

I'm not sure what you're referring to by 'version'. If you're comparing it to the utility on the Practiscore website, it's not an applicable comparison. If you're referring to the ezws2ps conversion program, the instructions are still current. If you're referring to the Practiscore program (such as version 1.1.2), they instructions are still current.

3. In the instructions, it says that to transfer to a Nook via USB, you "Double-click into the 'x' folder". This repeats three times. There is no such folder so I'm guessing that there should be some real folder names in place of the 'x'. Anyone know what they are?

I've fixed the instructions, and tested that portion of them on a Windows XP and Windows 7 machine, and believe them to be correct.

Edited by jcwren

Has the ezws2ps utility been updated to work properly with PractiScore versions 1.0.15 or above? I checked the web page and was surprised to not see the PractiScore version listed in the system requirements are listed.

Edited by CHA-LEE

• 2 weeks later...

This may well have been asked and answered somewhere but. Since Practiscore has no provisions for Metric vs Classic targets, should all stages be setup in EzWinScore as Metric? If not, what happens when the data from Practiscore is imported back into EZWS?

What about classifiers? Should they originally be setup as regular stages with metric targets and then changed after the results are imported?

Edited by Graham Smith

It doesn't matter how you set them in either program. EZWS pays attention to the target type for the purposes of entering scores, but beyond that, nothing cares.

I *do* wish Practiscore honored the target type so the 'B' column could be disappeared.

Edited by jcwren