Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Officer's Creed

BDH

I view the IPSC RO Creed as a guiding document. However, even though there is copy hanging on my wall, I really haven't actually read through it in awhile. :huh:

Well, I read through it tonight..... then kicked myself in the ass for not reading it every night. This was followed by me going to the IPSC website to check it again and to my surprise, I found a new RO Creed (mostly in formatting). :huh:

Anyway, I am just curious if YOU have read it. Is it complete? Anything you would change? Inquiring minds want to know........ ;)

I have indeed read it and posted it on a couple of forums. I think it is excellent and gives us all something to strive for. I am not perfect, however I will do everyting in my power to help run a fair and fun match. As I told many shooters this weekend, " I only have two main rules, 1 Don't scare the RO. 2. Have fun" They succeeded on both parts. I also commend the RO I had the pleasure to work with Ben Alexander. As I told him, "consitiency is the hallmark of a great range official."

During the course of a stage, my attention shall be clearly focused on the particular competitor I am assigned to observe, and I shall not permit my attention to be misdirected or lax.

And I will leave my cell phone in the truck where it belongs. ;)

As I told him, "consitiency is the hallmark of a great range official."

On the 'consistency comment', I do agree. The only thing I might add is that the good RO's can consistently make the 'tough calls'. Any RO can consistently make the 'easy calls'...

And I will leave my cell phone in the truck where it belongs..

Hmmm, I forgot about that incident. In any case, I think that is such a bad example of RO behavior that it does not belong in the RO Creed. If we were going to add something to cover that, then let's add...

I will not be an idiot! (which unfortunately applies to many more things than just being an RO)... :huh:

I've been thinking that the RM ought to have a written briefing (similar to a stage briefing) that he gives at the staff meeting. Perhaps reading the RO Creed would be good too?

Flex, I have never attended a major match where the RM did not coach the staff during the staff meeting on many of the things in the RO Creed. However, to your point, they probably did not cover all the points in the RO Creed as once you get staff at that level, I think you expect them to know that basic principles.

Have the RM read it before a big match??? I don't know about that, but I suppose it doesn't hurt anything, so why not? ;)

Have the RM read it before a big match??? I don't know about that, but I suppose it doesn't hurt anything, so why not? ;)

Perhaps it's time that IROA/IPSC printed the Range Officer's Creed on laminated credit card sized cards - this way, every good RO would carry one in his wallet, right next to his two scoring overlays.

I'll have a chat with the appropriate people and see what we can do. We might also consider some minor tweaking of the text, because some of it is redundant (e.g. fair and impartial appears twice), while the odd word here and there might be added or improved.

Good on ya, BDH ......

Vince,

Two things....

First, in my L1 course, Jay Worden made us earn his 'yellow card'. It was a small laminated card with all the range commands printed on it. I STILL carry it in my wallet, and in fact, have 'loaned' it to newer RO's that were struggling with their range commands at several matches (they generally would clip it to the back of the timer). While I know what the heck is printed on it, I will NOT let it get away from me...... ;)

Second, Dr. McManus also provided all staff at the 2003 3 Gun Nationals with a similar little 'cheat sheet', and this is all good stuff. :D

I like your idea, although.... how you are going to compress the RO Creed onto a credit card sized format is beyond me. Come on man.... I am now reaching for my reading glasses just to read the full sized one!! :blink: