Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to stay motivated and dedicated

dskinsler83

I'm a new shooter but have competed in other sports a lot and when you can't be actively training I would work on the mental stuff... 90% of shooting is controlling your mind so I think there are tons of things to work on even without a gun in your hands..

I also like to dry fire and work on magazine changes and draws a lot when I can't shoot .... I'm sure some of the more experienced guys here will be able to help you out more..

Dry fire as much as you can:) If you reload make about 50 dummy rounds and always dry fire fully loaded and reload w/ full mags. Again the point of getting better is not how fast you are but how fast you see the sights. Everyday will and always will be different.. The sights dictate your speed. If you find someone was faster work on movement in and out of position not shooting faster. As you progress with that your confidence will rise and your accuracy will increase. Don’t ever sacrifice accuracy over speed..

Focus and goals. Write them down and keep training logs.

I compete in a dozen or so rifle and pistol disciplines and realized I'd peaked at all of them if I didn't focus narrowly and dedicate my efforts to a specific goal. This season, I shot one Service Rifle match, no Bullseye, no Smallbore, just IPSC. It worked!

You can't wander about or spread yourself all over the map and expect to get much better. Pick a goal and focus.

Mark

Goals. You have to set goals and write them down and have a plan.

What HoMiE said

It is as simple as that. And I am speaking from experience, I competed professionally for 15 years, 25 years in total. It took a lot of self motivation, and it is about a goal and a plan on how to get there

Goals. You have to set goals and write them down and have a plan.

What HoMiE said

It is as simple as that. And I am speaking from experience, I competed professionally for 15 years, 25 years in total. It took a lot of self motivation, and it is about a goal and a plan on how to get there