Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once-fired Lake City .223 Brass

WatchmanUSA

I have been processing once-fired .223 Lake City brass. There is a small number of cases that appear to be colored brown. I'm fairly sure it is brass. When I trimmed it the exposed trimmed edge looks like brass.

Any thoughts on the brown color? BTW - it remained brown colored after tumbling and it is smooth like the polished brass.

There are soil conditions, for example, that will stain brass brown pretty deeply. I'm a serious brass scrounge and relentlessly pick brass wherever I go. I get LOTS of pieces from ranges that have been buried and then weather back out. (The brass monster giveth and the brass monster taketh away) It polishes up clean and brown and it shoots fine. It is handy to have a magnet close by tho....just to be sure.

There are soil conditions, for example, that will stain brass brown pretty deeply. I'm a serious brass scrounge and relentlessly pick brass wherever I go. I get LOTS of pieces from ranges that have been buried and then weather back out. (The brass monster giveth and the brass monster taketh away) It polishes up clean and brown and it shoots fine. It is handy to have a magnet close by tho....just to be sure.

It is defiantly brass and not aluminum or steel. It is only stained or oxidized brown. Your explanation of the soil causing the discoloration seems plausible.

Lake City, on occasion, does special runs of Black Nickel brass. In appearance it looks like a lacquer covered brass, but it IS Black Nickel over Brass!

Good stuff. Load them and shoot them in lots so that you don't loose track of them.

Edited by roostershooter

I've got 15 gallons of black brass. Some of it is rifle some of it is pistol. I cleaned it up from a local outdoor range that its been exposed to the elements for some time. I hand sorted thru it and have picked out all the rusted steel cases and damaged unusable stuff. I plan on running it thru the tumbler and cleaning it up as best I can. It will be used at all the lost brass matches where I know I won't get it back and don't really care. I have enough clean shiny pick ups for the bolt guns and stuff that I keep track of.

Thought about selling it but not sure if people would want it. I think with a wet media cleaning system it might come clean but not 100% sure.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe throw those in about 1/2 gallon boiling water with 1-2 tablespoons Lemi-Shine - can be found in the dishwashing detergent section at the grocery store. They'll probably turn a rosy-pink and you can re-tumble them again after drying.

happy shooting, dv

• 1 month later...