Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mags

PBA2

I have 3 hi-cap and 1 10 round mag for my STI Eagle. This weekend at a match I had a very difficult time seating my 10 round mag in the well. It was full with 10 rounds and of course the 10th is quite difficult to get in in itself and I understand that may be preventing a smooth reload. It is just that I have used this mag since I got it and never recall having an issue seating this mag. I got home from the match and loaded 1 hi-cap and the 10 round with 10 rounds each, and sure enough the 10 round has to be whacked in with pretty good force. Anyway, the primary question is, has something changed (I don't know what) not allowing the seating? Thanks for any help

I have attached a picture of both mag tubes. To clarify from more testing, the problem is not the mag catch at all, I swapped a different mag catch from my Edge and same problem. The issue is not when the slide is open, at that point both mags slide in and seat like butter. The issue is with closed slide, and at that point the 10 round mag will not seat within the well with any ease at all. Again, a good whack will seat it, but it takes a considerable amount of pressure more than a "normal" reload during a coarse of fire. Hope this helps.

I am having issues with pic attachment, but in the meantime the ribs are deeper and run the length of the 10 rounder.

Edited by PBA2

10 round (true 10 round) mags have always required a LOT of force to seat and load in my experience....

They are damned sure lawyer proofed against someone figuring out a way to get 11 in them....dry.gif

Maybe this is just the case. I just can't believe I have never noticed it before.

I have three ten-rounders and they all have that same problem. The spring stacks almost solid with ten rounds in it. I can jam a full mag in the gun but for IPSC I really can't afford to work that hard on a reload ;)

I did try cutting a coil off one of the mag springs. That helped but made the spring weaker on the last round or two. I also tried twisting the spring so it would pile up under the follower rather than stack. But it's not reliable. They are now my stripper and back-up mags.

I have three ten-rounders and they all have that same problem. The spring stacks almost solid with ten rounds in it. I can jam a full mag in the gun but for IPSC I really can't afford to work that hard on a reload ;)

I did try cutting a coil off one of the mag springs. That helped but made the spring weaker on the last round or two. I also tried twisting the spring so it would pile up under the follower rather than stack. But it's not reliable. They are now my stripper and back-up mags.

Yeah you are right. You have to jam it in. The only thing I can figure, and the odds of this are a little crazy, but everytime I have reloaded with my 10 round apparently the slide was locked back, making it easy. which is also rare for my slide to lock back. Anyway thanks for the reply

Yeah you are right. You have to jam it in. The only thing I can figure, and the odds of this are a little crazy, but everytime I have reloaded with my 10 round apparently the slide was locked back, making it easy. which is also rare for my slide to lock back. Anyway thanks for the reply

I also bounce the base of the loaded mag against the sole of my boot. Sounds odd but it seems to get all the rounds to stack tighter or the spring to sort itself out a bit. After doing that I can push the tenth round in a little more... but I still only trust them as backups.

I'd like to try some different springs and followers one day. It wouldn't take much of a shorter follower or maybe a lighter gauge spring so it stacks less to make these mags work I'm betting.