Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady case plate in Dillon feeder?

• 8 months later...

Notice for those who want to use the Hornady Case Feed Plate in Small Rifle on the Dillon Case Feeder. They are completely different. I ordered the hornady and watched it jam to hell. For 5 dollars more I then got the Dillon plate which has entirely different measurements and fed 40 cases without a single adjustment.

For 9mm the Hornady small pistol plate is the only way to make the Dillon collator on my 1050 worth a damn. I can't figure out the difference but the Dillon plate turns either one in a jam-o-matic. The Hornady plate is, naturally, flawless in the Hornady and gets the Dillon to a mostly acceptable level of usable.

Notice for those who want to use the Hornady Case Feed Plate in Small Rifle on the Dillon Case Feeder. They are completely different. I ordered the hornady and watched it jam to hell. For 5 dollars more I then got the Dillon plate which has entirely different measurements and fed 40 cases without a single adjustment.

I just learned this the hard way. Was all set to load 223, converted everything over from 45acp, threw in the brass....then a scratching sound and the case feeder plate stopped turning. Then I notice that when the brass is in backwards, it does not get pushed out.

I think we have a couple discoveries here, like small rife use Dillon, small pistol Hornady. When I said I use either I was referring to small and large pistol, been thinking about getting a small rifle plate now I think it will be a Dillon for use in the Hornady.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to revive the zombie thread.. I was impatient and didn't want to wait for a Dillon Small rifle plate to be ordered. So I went and picked up a Hornady Small Rifle.

It was extremely easy to modified and get to work.. Took about 10mins at most. If I was allowed to own a dremel, it would of been much faster and cleaner cuts. I used a pocket knife to trim the case feeder and the feed plate.

If the cases feed primer end first, all if fine and the cases drop like they should. If the case is fed bottle neck first, the side of the feeder hits the case and causes it to bind. If it doesn't bind, the case won't fall down the chute because there isn't enough room.. Removing a little bit of the plastic made enough room for the cases to fall. I then removed some material from the feed plate that prevented the binding.

The slight change to the feeder didn't affect the dillon large pistol feed plate or the feeding of those cases.

Here is a video showing it binding up and then working. I don't have pics/video of where I cut the case feeder itself..

Edited by PkSpawn