Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about an iPad

Graham Smith

I have one of the first generation Kindle Fires and I really like it but all in all, I would prefer something bigger. The new Fire 8.9 is coming out but a price comparison shows that I can get a refurbished 2nd Generation iPad for just about the same price. So now I am kind of stuck.

My main consideration here is that the iPad just seems to be a better overall "computer". The Fire is a first class reader and has some neat games and stuff, but it's not very good for web or email or notes - you know, computer like stuff. Going to the new 8.9 will improve that a lot, but if I'm going to spend around $300+ I just have the feeling that I'm better off going with an iPad.

BTW, I've looked at the iPad3 and it just doesn't have enough extra to get me to pay $130 more.

So, all you iPad lovers out there. Tell me about the good, the bad, and the ugly of the iPad 2.

Looks like you see it pretty much have it from my perspective. Gadget freaks at my house so we have a Kindle, Kindle Fire, IPad 1,2&3, Galaxy Tab 1&2, and several other devices. The Fire is a good reader but limited compared to the rest. The other Android devices are a close second to the IPad but I find myself on an IPad most often. The IPad2 is a better deal than the 3 IMO but I'm selling both of my IPads for the Mini when it's released for the 7" screen. I would definitely also recommend a hard look at the Nexus 7 as well.

The 7" screen is what I mainly want to get away from. If it were not for that, I'd probably stick with my 7" Fire.

I've looked at all the specs for the Fire 8.9 and it looks really good, but there are still some things that put limits on it. The iPad is not a laptop substitute, but with a wireless keyboard it comes darn close to doing what I need one to do. And I've spent enough years fighting with Microsoft that I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the larger bugs to get squashed in Win8. Want to talk about bleeding edge tech...

If a 10" screen is a requirement then I think you will be good with the IPad but you should maybe drop by Costco and play with the Tab2 10" or perhaps the Note if you want a pen. I like the Tab2 but, as mentioned, I tend to prefer the IPad to all the other devices on the table.

THe MS Surface tablets are also pricey! You can get a new ipad2 wifi only (16gb only) for $399, or if you have one near you, watch micro center, as they have them about once a month for $359. These are not refurbs; apple is still making the ipad2 in this config, at least they are until the "ipad mini" or whatever it gets called comes out, at which point I should think the remaining ipad2 config will be retired.

Oh, good, bad, and ugly, okay. Well, the good is the price you can get for one now as shown above. Bad? It's not an ipad '3', which has a faster processor and a retina display. (The ipad2 is absolutely no slouch, however!) Ugly? I wouldn't call it ugly per se, but having gotten used to the retina display of the ipad3 and my iphone 4s, when I look at Cindy's ipad2 (which looked perfectly fine before), I feel like reaching for my glasses. As I said, there's nothing wrong with the ipad2 screen resolution AT ALL..., unless you're already used to the retina display resolution of other apple devices.

Now, you having had a kindle fire. How did that work out for you with practiscore using it outside to run a stage?

Edited by wgnoyes

I bought a google nexus tablet and absolutely love it, it is the perfect size, great battery life and seems to be built well overall. I run macs but am not a fan of the IOS, I like to have the ability to tweak my system and you can get that with the droid os.

Now, you having had a kindle fire. How did that work out for you with practiscore using it outside to run a stage?

Never tried it. But I can tell you that trying to view a 1st Gen Fire outdoors in sunlight is not an easy task. Although I understand that the newer ones are a lot better in that regard.

As to the iPad 2 vs iPad 3... Since I'm not in any rush, I'm waiting to see if some more iPad 2's show up in the Apple refurbished store. They are $80 less than new, $130 less than a refurbished 3 and $180 less than a new 3 . But I have a limit as to how long I will wait.

One of the strange things I've seen with the iPad are cases. There are a gazillion different cases out there, but they all seem to be variations of 3 or 4 basic designs. And the term case and cover seem to be used to mean just about anything from a thin decal to a thick metal case you could run over with a tank.

You would think that these companies could at least be inventive enough to come up with some interesting new designs other than the ones they've been using for the past 3 years.

Graham,

A life long PC user, I went with the iPad. It has worked well for me, although I wish that it would accept and run a thumb drive. I find that I am using it a lot more than my laptop, just saving for a keyboard at the moment. For engineering field notes, references and some emails, it has been extremely useful, one just needs to invest in the appropriate apps. Since I work in field engineering (civil), I went with the Gryphon Tech.'s mil spec armored case. It is very sturdy with the trade off of doubling the weight and being a bit bulkier (good protection from the 7 y.o. Though). I have not felt the need to upgrade to the v.3 yet because the 2 is doing everything that I need.

One of the strange things I've seen with the iPad are cases. There are a gazillion different cases out there, but they all seem to be variations of 3 or 4 basic designs. And the term case and cover seem to be used to mean just about anything from a thin decal to a thick metal case you could run over with a tank.

You would think that these companies could at least be inventive enough to come up with some interesting new designs other than the ones they've been using for the past 3 years.

For regular indoor work, I use an Apple smarcover over the screen (no film over the actual glass; it isn't needed) and a belkin snap shield over the back. I carry it around in a JustAir bag. If I were going to use it outdoors at the range for stage scoring, then I'd get the otterbox "run over it with a tank" Defender case.

with Logitech bluetooth keyboard

Which one? The ultra-thin keyboard cover or the "full size". I'm looking at the latter of the two because it's not so cramped. I need to find some place that has them on display so I can fiddle with them.

The more I read about the apps and accessories, the more I can see an iPad as being the only thing I need to take with me while traveling.

Edited by Graham Smith

It's a different way of doing some things, as you really don't have a file structure to deal with like you have in a regular computer. However, your choice of iCloud or Dropbox (or both) seems to make up for that, and apple's dirt-cheap "office suite" (Pages, Numbers, Keynote; all at $9.99 each!) store your documents on the device and in iCloud for later porting back to your mac (assuming you're running Lion or Mountain Lion). I can see going on a trip with just an iPad instead of a computer.

Edited by wgnoyes

And today Apple announced a new iPad mini and iPad 4, effectively making the NEW 7 month old iPad 3 obsolete. To add insult to injury, they dropped the price of the refurbished iPad 3 by $70.

Translation for newbies: Same old, same old at Apple!

Regarding the Logitech keyboard... I've looked at both the "full size" and the ultrathin keyboard case and think that I prefer the former. It's not as cramped and the keyboard/case does not allow you to use any kind of snap on back protection.

This one is case and keyboard. http://www.logitech....-keyboard-folio

I'm trying to find one in a store so I can have a look at it. The people in those videos must have tiny little hands thought. I don't have particularly big mitts but the one compact keyboard I did see was a Zagg that someone had and it was just so darned cramped.

Oh, well, that's not going to be the first accessory I will want to get. That's going t be a bluetooth stereo headset.