Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Primers

M ammo

After many years (25+)of Using Winchester Small pistol Primers I ran into a BAD batch.

Until the last election,, and I bought whatever I could get my hands on! Like everyone..

Has anyone else ran into a bad batch of Winchester Small Pistol Primers?

At first I thought it was the gun, and XDM with a Springer trigger job, then it happen with a second gun a Glock 34

Then a Third gun an XDM (Stock out of the box), then a STI, and a Friends STI.

I had another batch of re-loads with Magtech primers. Same load same Press same settings, they ran flawlessly.

The second 1000 with the Win SPP,,,,, %20 did not go off. It made for an interesting match!

I'll dig the LOT# out of the trash and,, contact someone at Winchester. I still have 1000 in the box,, that I want to re check the lot # but am More than reluctant to use!

Has anyone else ran into a bad batch of Winchester Small Pistol Primers?

Did they light off at all? Did it take a 2nd or third strike? that is a lot of primers to not go off at all.....especially Winchester.

Thanks for the info,

DougC

It was durring a match and I did not get to try and re-shoot any of the rounds,, :blink: I know I know,,, but the primer hits,, looked good, If it was in just one Gun,, I would have went with the GUN. but it was in 5 different guns,, some stock and some with trigger jobs,

they all worked well with the other lot of primers,,

I load them on a 650,,, and I know I set them ok, I Case gage every round and check the primer, when I do it,,

I've always been happy when I have Win!! Primers,, they have been the best,,, just this one batch,,,

Win,, e-mailed me back,, and gave me a PH #### and a Person to call so I'll let them know what happen ,,,

not me and I've run several thousand pistol,and rifle,,shoot them in sti,xdm,browning hp..

25 years of loading and WIn has been my go to! primer,,, this is the first time,, I have this type of problem,,,

In roughly 140,000 winchester spp I have seen one with no anvil. It really caught my eye, too, as I was flipping them before filling the tubes. "Whoa, what is that?". Pulled it & looked closely to find it didn't have the anvil in it. Strange but wrote it off as just one of those things. Hasn't happened again with any from the same batch or other batches.

MLM

Be sure your primers are set at least .004 to .006 deep. No problems with Winchester Primers in my Auto pistols. Use Federal in revolvers. I have a Dillon Small Primer Filler. Winchester Primers will stick in the neck of the filler once in a while but a slight tap on the side of the machine with a wrench will start them flowing again.

I think quality has generally slipped. While I have had no ignition problems I have found 3 in the last 3-500 SRP that were out of round or a little on the large size. They seat fine but they clog up my pal filler.

I just talked to the guy at Winchester,

They are sending a UPS shipping lable,, and I'll send them a batch of loaded rounds, they will test them.

It will take 4 to 5 weeks,, for them to get back with me.

Post the lot number if you can please.

FFLD222

Thanks. I will check this out as I have had a run of misfires with WIN SP as of late and it had never happened before.

I have had no Problem with WIN Primers ever! that is why,,, I'm kind of worried!!

I bought 5000 old Winchester small pistol primers here awhile back that were in perfect condition and started having trouble right off the bat with my G34. They were in white sleeves so I can't tell you how old they are. What I figured out finally was that the older Winchester primers were harder than the newer ones. I had to go back to a heavier striker spring then all was good.