Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just ordered a Chrony F1

Obviously its not a Master or one of the better ones so i figure ill have to write down all my Data that comes from it, i know i can add a printer to it but thats another 100$ or so, anything i should know about setting it up or protecting it ?

Josh, I've used only a Chrony for twenty years - never one

of "the better ones". I don't mind writing down the 20 shots

I fire over the Chrony :rolleyes:

If you've never used a chrono before - it's important that

you set up a target at 10 = 12 feet (distance you'll be

shooting over your chrono) and make sure bullets are hitting

where you're aiming - don't ask how I know - if your sights

are off, and you're shooting LOW - well, that's where the chrono

is :surprise: You want to shoot pistols at 10=12 feet, and rifles

probably even further to prevent the gasses blowing thru the chrono

and giving you strange results.

I keep my Chrony in the shade, or create my own shade by putting

something over the Chrony - direct sunlight can result in some

non-readings.

And, when you open the chrony from its folded position and rest

it on the tripod - important to make sure it is fully open -

if not, it will give you funny results. Sometimes the tripod

will prevent it from opening 100% - has to be open 100%.

To check velocity, I shoot 20 shots for record - and average them.

To check minimum PF, I shoot 20 and look only at The Slowest Shot -

I want that to make PF - which means my Average PF will average 130 - 135

for Minor and 170 - 175 for Major.

To make yourself feel better about the results - compare one of

your readings with another chrono - should be very similar.

Other than that, I've had a lot of good results with my Chrony.

Good luck with yours.

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Congrats on second best shooting accessory purchase you could make, with the first being a reloading set-up.

I'm a Luddite and keep all of my reloading data and chrono results in notebooks. I have a master notebook in a safe and keep a small spiral bound one in my range bag and write down the readings and misc. notes by hand. Unless you want to become a statistician this is a simple, and effective way to develop all but the most exacting of long range rifle loads.

I've used a chrony brand chrono many times an have run them in series with my old ProTach chrono...they are accurate enough and work well. I've also seen the results if you hit one, so as HP Jack says, know your aim point vs. bullet path! As a tip, if you are also checking shotgun velocities you need to set the chrono up about 3' from the muzzle (or according to the mfg's directions). It can get really ugly if you try to chrono a shotgun at 10-12 feet. I was reminded of this a couple months ago when chrono'ing some 7/8 oz loads using some new ClayBuster wads (the gray ones)....I hit the chrono with a wad and fortunately the only damage as a really long gray skid mark across the top. :rolleyes:

Good luck and I hope she serves you well!

Thanks for the responses, in the chrony manual it says there's an FU button but its probly for a different model with the external fps screen, anyways i ran to the post office because it wasn't going to be delivered till tomorrow and i didn't want to wait lol.

I do have a Dillon XL650 loading 9mm atm, working on getting .223 set up, i wanted the chrony to check and make sure i wasnt going over my powder limits, i've done a few max loads and then my machine kinda gave me a few more .1's after that which only cracked 1 shell(no damage to gun or my self), since then i've done more and more checking to make sure the machine doesn't do that to me again, and if someone want's to load on my machine and they want to load to a specific FPS now i can show them :)

Just realized the FU button is on the Ballistics printer, and seeing the Chrony IBM/PC interface and Com Port to usb makes me want to get it, wondering if anyone else has bought the Shooting Chrony ballistics software ?

• 1 month later...

All I have used is the Master Chrony with the printer, and use the printer all the time, agree with all the suggestions above, have used the sky screens when it was too bright, but found a IPSC target on top of the rods did a good job when it was real bright, ususally dont need it in the shade though...my buddy has shot one of mine already, blew up the exit eyeball, i found that it was better to have him take aim on the target first few shots see where they hit then moved the chrony into position, he can hold on the same spot from 12 feet, so no more busted eyeballs, Chrony's are a little antiquated in the directions dept, but once you use it a few times, you may find like I did that there are only a few functions I use, I have compared it with other chrono's and it was right there, its always worked, and got me close enough to the PF I was after for major matches, it should do fine for you, and that unit is very simple to run without the remote display and printer stuff, although I do like the extras, nice to keep the printouts stored away, especially since i shoot .38 super, .40 and .45 in competition, so the Chrony is a must...you will like having one...

Suggestion: use a ransom rest until you get comfortable with shooting over it ....and always start high and work down to about 6 inches above the eyes.....

• 1 month later...

I made my own USB to serial adapter and I'm working on writing some software for the chony. Also made my own remote control. I'm a bit further along on the program than what's on the pic but still very rough and no error checking as of yet. Want to add more options to it also. As of now i can get and print, system info, shot string info and all strings along with shot info. Aslo cleaned up the data that's shown a bit.

44C3E8FE-6D28-4329-85F9-291F08ECCC4E-2673-000004BF6A366FC0.jpg

schronyv1a.jpg

Edited by agalindo