Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm conversion for .40sw edge?

Alaskapopo

What would be required to convert a .40sw edge to 9mm. New top end complete? New barrel fitted? Also what would the cost be. I have a STi Ege in 40sw and I would like a 9mm verison of the same gun. I have 9mm mags for my open gun that would also work in the Edge if I had it in 9mm. Just wondering what the costs would be compared to buying a new pistol.

Pat

I think the reason no one has tried to answer this is because there are too many variables cost wise.

Typically you would want a slide with the breech face cut for 9mm, a 9 mm extractor, and barrel plus the parts to complete the slide assembly. You may need to change the ejector as well, but that should be about it assuming your 9mm mags will present the cartridge properly .

Armed with that knowledge you can contact a smith and let them tell you what labor would be, and price parts either of his choosing or deals you can find on your own. Occasionally you can find awesome deals on slides, barrels, etc.

What would be required to convert a .40sw edge to 9mm. New top end complete? New barrel fitted? Also what would the cost be. I have a STi Ege in 40sw and I would like a 9mm verison of the same gun. I have 9mm mags for my open gun that would also work in the Edge if I had it in 9mm. Just wondering what the costs would be compared to buying a new pistol.

Pat

I converted my 40 to .38super by changing the extractor , mags and barrel. Works great with supers and supercomp - for 9mm you may also need a long ejector, EGW make a long one that works OK .

Kimber did and may even today still use the same breech face demensions for thier 40 and 38super pistols. So just a barrel change would work if you planned on going to 38S. But going to 40 to 9 would likely require a complete top end.

From what I understand, you should be able to get a complete top end for somewhere around $800-$1200. Maybe even a little less if you or your smith can find the pieces on sale/special. Most of the variable cost would come from slide cuts and finshes and such.

Edited by wgj3

Most anyone that you would want to have/let build you a complete pistol can do it. I've considered having this done myself, but I've heard there are/may be some drawbacks in the reliability area. Make sure that whoever does the work will stand behind it and work with you until both top ends run properly.

Kimber did and may even today still use the same breech face demensions for thier 40 and 38super pistols. So just a barrel change would work if you planned on going to 38S. But going to 40 to 9 would likely require a complete top end.

A friend had a Kimber 5 inch in 9mm that ran well for him except he would get stovepipes upon

lockback. This concerned him and he asked me to look at it. I found his extractor tension a bit loose

and adjusted it. I repeated this twice until I decided to check the breech face. I measured the breech

and found Kimber was using .40 breech face slides. He called Kimber and they replaced the slide for him.