Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 Steel Challenge

shred

It was a really neat match this year. Weather was excellent.

I shot about 10 sec slower than practice has been. Part me - part the stop plate differential.

Still faster than last year :D I guess that's the whole idea - constant improvement.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but all three of the "non-present shooters" called before they finally pulled out your ticket were named "Mike." 

Yeah, I did notice that. Guess they got tired of all those mikes! ;)

My dad is named Mike too.

I was squadded with Mike S on Friday, and Mike R Jr took care of my ammo for me and RO'd Outer Limits all 3 days. I was on my way to put some things in my car when Shred told me I needed to stick around for the drawing. Guess I'm going to have to be nice to lots of people now. :wub:

A special thank you to Briley Pistol Division for being a major sponsor of the match each year.

I'll second that. Sam won a 6" Briley barrel in his prize package. (I'm going to try to trade him a few packs of baseball cards for it...)

Can someone give us a brief story behind the airsoft guy? I read a quote a couple of years ago about a shooter from across the Pacific that could shoot a real gun only two weeks per year. He used airsoft at home and I think he might have been Leatham's teammate at the time.

He almost won. The whole deal truly blows my mind. Should we all buy airsoft pistols?

Could anything be harder to win than the Steel Challenge?

All I know is third-hand rumor and innuendo, but here goes and somebody is sure to correct me:

Anyway, there is a small contingent of Japanese steel shooters. They practice at home using Airsofts (I've also heard they can go to other nearby countries and shoot for real). Some of them also have real guns in safe-deposit boxes in the US. They show up a few weeks/months before the match and live on the practice range until they're used to live ammo.

A couple of the Super Squad were heard to say "I gotta get me one of them airsofts.."

The SC is hard to win in that you've gotta be fast and consistent (as well as occasionally lucky) for four runs on all seven stages. It's easier to practice for than say an IPSC World Shoot in that the stages are well documented, easy to practice on and there's little movement. It's tough to win, but probably not the hardest to win.

Hey Penny,

Are you the "CA Wheel Burner" who gave me the web address at Outer Limits? I was the guy shooting the Beretta in Limited and had the "LA County Bed and Breakfast" shirt on Friday.

I checked out the web page and am looking forward to going to a match. I'll be shooting a stock S&W M65 3" out of an old duty holster. (How's that for non-competitive!!!) I just need to get the reloader set up so I can develop some loads that shoot to point-of-aim.

I've decided to dump the Beretta for competition and am using my Para P-16 in .40S&W. Now that I finally have a place to reload I'm looking to improve between now and next years match.

I came in at 114.92 Seconds which is about 12 seconds faster than my last Steel Challenge Match in 2002. My last practice score was 110.6something with the Beretta so I know that I can do better. I choked on speed option (one of my better stages) and that added a bunch to my time, but I felt pretty good about both "Pendulum" and "Outer Limits".

My wife is very interested in getting into competition and she likes Beretta so my old gun is now hers. It has adjustable sights, a fixed trigger stop, lighter Wolff springs, and is modified to fire from the single action mode. (With complete safety)

I won a Sure-Fire M3 Combat light, the one with the little "impact bevel" thing at the front end. I took it to work to show off my "Super non-LAPD PC deadly flashlight"! It was popular. I also got a hogue overmolded PG Stock set and a gift certificate for a Ted Blocker Holster. I already ordered the holster and I'm looking forward to it.

The Steel Challenge is a great match and I'm already looking forward to next year. I was impressed with everyone there, and really look forward to meeting everyone again.

Hey Penny,

Are you the "CA Wheel Burner" who gave me the web address at Outer Limits?

<snip>

My wife is very interested in getting into competition and she likes Beretta so my old gun is now hers. It has adjustable sights, a fixed trigger stop, lighter Wolff springs, and is modified to fire from the single action mode. (With complete safety)

SoCalDep,

No, I don't know how those wheel guns work ;)

Here is a pic of me trying to shoot limited on Friday.

Penny

p.s. buy your wife an open gun!

Sakai told me that he has won the "Steel Challenge of Japan" (the Airsoft version) six times in a row, using (I beleive) one of the Airsoft S-V raceguns, which is as close to an excact duplicate of a "real gun" that I've ever handled.

Mike Dalton said they use 1/4-scale plates for their competitions at appropriately scaled down distances.

Sakai comes over three weeks before the Steel Challenge to tune up with a live gun. He told me it takes him a day to make the transition from Airsoft to cartridge gun, because the recoil on the Steel Challenge guns isn't really much of an issue. He says now that he's done it for several years (I believe he's finished 2nd in Open a couple of times), the transition is no big deal.

To say the SS was shooting badly doesn't even slightly negate Sakai's accomplishment. Sakai shot dead steady through both Limited and Open. He resisted the urge to blaze when K.C., J.J. and JoJo upped the speed ante. He also resisted the urge to *slow down.* Koenig shot a pretty flawless consistant match, but just off the pace...I'd bet Doug was thinking the Filipino speedsters would eventually draw Sakai into blazing, then, when they all blew up, Doug would be perfectly positioned for the win. Sakai never took the bait, even when it looked like he was out of the running in Open; first JoJo, then K.C. burned up. J.J. was right there, with Todd Jarrett still right behind in the hunt, but Sakai stayed with his game and won it. BTW, by my view, Todd was within one shot of knocking Sakai off (on Five To Go, I believe) after three great runs, but stumbling on the last two and had to eat one.

Pendulum was, I believe, the breaking point in both Limited and Open, Looks easy; isn't!

mb

• 11 months later...