Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM "Extensively Dry Fire" Warning

JesseM

So I was looking through the owners manual for the XDM 5.25 I bought and it says

"Extensively dry firing can accelerate component wear/stress. Use snap caps when extensively dry firing."

Is this something I should actually be worried about or is it just some standard claim made my Springfield?

The only problem you will see from this is is the striker retaining pin. Saying that it seems to very hit and miss if you are deeply concerned powder river makes a heavier version of the pin 3 for $12. I had the stock in for probably 1000 dry fires before I sent the gun off for a trigger job and Powder River replaced it.

I bought a bag of 25 roll pins from granger for less than $5. I just change them out once a year when the guns get their annual cleaning rather they need it or not. :) We have 2 XDM9s and 2 XDM45s all 4.5 inch. My wife and I shoot 10-15000 rounds of 9 and 8-10000 45s through each gun a year. I do a fair amount of dry fire with mine, Her not so much. Her 9 always shows more wear on the pin than any of the others but I have not had one break so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine broke in less than 15K dry fire and rounds fired combined. I did my homework before hand, and had the appropriate punches (roll pin punch with nipple, and roll pin starter punch from Springer precision) and roll pins (from Powder River Precision) on hand to fix it. It set me back about 15 minutes. Now I change it once a year when I do my total tear down cleaning at the end of the USPSA season. No worries.

Edited by Red Ryder

I bought a bag of 25 roll pins from granger for less than $5. I just change them out once a year when the guns get their annual cleaning rather they need it or not. :) We have 2 XDM9s and 2 XDM45s all 4.5 inch. My wife and I shoot 10-15000 rounds of 9 and 8-10000 45s through each gun a year. I do a fair amount of dry fire with mine, Her not so much. Her 9 always shows more wear on the pin than any of the others but I have not had one break so far.

do you have the part number by chance?