Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes

SMSI

I am not revolver expert, but I enjoy my S&W revos. Today, for the first time, I was getting light primer strikes in my S&W 610 (40 cal). 2 kinds of ammo, so I do not believe it was a bad batch of primers. Also, some of the pin indentions were obviously light. However, this only happened at the end of the session, and always after a reload. Not on the first moon clip of a string. Always when the gun was pretty hot. Can heat affect the spring this way? or the firing pin?

Also, be aware that any non-firing impact will look like a light strike, most of the pin indentation is made by the explosion blowing the primer backwards rather than by the firing pin spring speed. Check your strain screw, if that isn't it then open 'er up and start cleaning things.

I am not revolver expert, but I enjoy my S&W revos. Today, for the first time, I was getting light primer strikes in my S&W 610 (40 cal). 2 kinds of ammo, so I do not believe it was a bad batch of primers. Also, some of the pin indentions were obviously light. However, this only happened at the end of the session, and always after a reload. Not on the first moon clip of a string. Always when the gun was pretty hot. Can heat affect the spring this way? or the firing pin?

"Always after a reload" Check end shake also. Some times the hair thickness firing pin spring will break in half and bind if you dry fire a lot. but most likely as Warren wrote, it's the strain screw. You can put a drop of blue lock tight on it when it's tightened.

Edited by toothguy

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, check if you have endshake and remove it with a bearings or give your revo to some good gunsmith to doing the job of

stretching the crane.

Loctite blue is good to stop strainscrew.

Heat, my opinion influences only..if you set the strainscrew at limits to fire a Federal primer (for example)

in a hot summer day..it's possible when the temperature go down, make a missfire because the primer it's slightly harder on surface.

Ok, is not the only way, but after you do all the possible trigger jobs, finally set the strainscrew it's another chance to go more down in DA weight. If you use revo in competition, not for defense.

I spent a lot of money to buy federal primers..if I don't set strainscrew, there's non reason to buy it and I shoot CCI with 7 Lb DA.

Anyway now, is 100% reliable with 5,5 Lb.

Adjusting the strain screw is not the way to lighten the trigger pull on revolvers. If you do that you deserve light strikes. Give the gun to a good revolver smith and have it done properly.

I think what many of us were thinking is that over time his stain screw had loosened. By tightening the strain screw to it's original position and placing a drop of blue loctite it would be an easy inexpensive fix. Namaste.