Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 OAL

ND Moore

I have been reading that alot of people extend the OAL specs in thier reloads. I just purchased a SV 40 and tried my OAL at 1.20 like alot of people do. The bullets must be hitting the slide lock because it goes to slide lock with a couple of rounds still in the mag. The slide lock has been filed but the bullets still hit the lock. Why do you extend the OAL past the specs 1.35 is it for accuracy or pressure. Should I file more off the lock, is it worth it. Fill me in on OAL please.

Using 180g MG Bullets.

Thanks

Doug.

It is the follower in the magazine that is probably engaging the slide stop, not the ammo. As for OAL, I run mine around 1.140 (SAAMI is 1.135) since I got my .40 SV back in '96 and haven't had any problems. I think most people ran/run the long OAL was b/c of pressure back in the days of the 175pf when using heavy bullets and fast burning powder. Now w/ the lower pf, it probably doesn't make that much of a difference. In any event, if the chamber of your bbl isn't reamed to take a long OAL, then it isn't going to work.

Maybe your slide lock isn't filed enough.

Remove the slide. Insert mag full of dummy rounds loaded to your OAL. Check where they are hitting the slide lock tab.

As for OAL, I also use 1.2 because the gun just feeds smoother with it. However, when I changed to 200 gr heads, I found out I need to load at 1.160 or the rounds don't feed right.

Most people do it for feeding. My SV Limited gun like to run at around 1.175" OAL. 1.200" was too long for me, but my problem was the bullets were contacting the rifling.

Same lenght here with 180s.

To solve the same problem (slide lock with 1 round still in the mag) I ground down the small activator pad on every follower. If you want to restore the slide stop functionality, a new follower costs less and is faster to install.

I load mine to 1.230". My chamber will freely accept and drop out rounds of 1.270" or longer. It's a Schuemann Ultramatch in an SV.

Loading longer than SAAMI will drastically reduce initial chamber pressure, which is good for safety, especially when using fast powders. More ignition volume is primarily what allows 10mm to be hotter than spec 40SW, or 38S hotter than 9x19mm.

Max COAL for .40SW is 1.135. Max COAL for 10mm is 1.260". In an SV, you can load almost to 10mm lengths. (For comparison max 9x19 is 1.169")

My mags will not feed factory .40SW rounds reliably. The follower flips over about 2/3 the way up.

-z

I don't think the followers are the problem, its got to be the bullets hitting the slide lock. The gun goes to slide lock with 3 bullets still in mag, so the follower is still in the mag tube. It doesn't do it all the time and it does it with more than one mag. What do you think OAL to long, file, file, file.

If you know that the rounds are hitting the slide lock, you need to look at the mag tube to see if when the mag is inserted and torqued (thanks to the mag release), it's pointing the rounds enough to the side that they're hitting the slide lock but that they'll still feed.