Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180gr Xtreme .40 in AET barrel?

Ssanders224

Guys,

Looking for some affordable bullets to feed my limited gun with Ultimatch AET gain twist barrel.

I like Xtreme bullets, and have had good luck with them in 9mm.

Problem is, someone told me that they tried them in an AET one time, and they had a problem with them tumbling??

Assumed it was becasue they were soft and .400 and not .401??

Can anyone clear this up?

Or does anyone have good luck with these bullets in an AET barrel?

Thanks.

I'm assuming Xtreme bullets are plated? If so, they may or may not work well. Plated bullets work great in my 6" Limited gun with an AET barrel. They worked OK (got the occasional oval hole) in my 5" Limited gun with an AET barrel. But they are terrible in my 5" Single Stack with an AET barrel. It won't shoot a 12" group with plated bullets.

Edited by SV-COP

Yep, Xtremes are plated.

I had a chance to try about 500 of these a few days ago.

First of all, out of the 20 I checked, they all measured EXACTLY .400. Very consistent.

I loaded them over Solo 1000 at prob a little under Major PF, and I had no problems with them through my AET 5".

I didnt really try for groups, but they seemed accurated enough. Ive heard as you push Solo faster, sometimes the accuracy gets better. So there is prob some room for improvement in the load.

But none tumbled. All made nice round holes at 15, 25, and 35yds.

Caveat.....must try in your own barrel in your own gun.

Xtreme plated 40s shoot well in the standard rifling barrels as long as you don't overcrimp them. DO NOT USE a Lee factory crimp die with them. You will not be happy. And of course, there may be someone that will post and say.....but I use that combo and it works well for me.... :ph34r:

I test my ammo for groups at 25 yds and beyond. I can only say that they will do a 1-2inch group at 25 yds in the standard barrels, and do not know about the AET. They will either shoot it well, or not at all....

Good luck,

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

The last post is correct. All bullets are different in every barrel. Xtremes worked fine for me in my Schuemann .40 standard barrel...That is all except for the extreme spread in velocity. I could never get it reasonable with those bullets. The spread between rounds was anywhere from 20fps to 100fps...This would be 10-shot strings!! Crazy..And can affect power factor very easily. The only way to know for sure is try them in your gun..

Using Berry's 180's in my Apeiro AET they seem to work fairly well. Medium crimp, 4.9gn titegroup. Stellar accuracy.

Tried 4.8 and 4.7gn but the load felt 'snappy' made 184PF

Accuracy was mediocre

TRIED 4.66gn TG load felt good, decent accuracy 174PF