Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock Buffs Why?

mildot1

Why do I need to use a shock buff? I have purchased two used pistols in the past that had them in them, I discarded them. I am inclined to think that is a bandaid for an improperly setup pistol. Am I full of Shait or missing something?

Mildot

The polymer buffs are the most troublesome. If not maintained or changed regularly, they will tear/break apart and may cause a pistol to malfunction. This happened to be back in the 90's with one of my first 1911s and after that, I never used them again. They have aluminium ones out now that will help shorten the stroke and are more durable.

I've been shooting IPSC since 1979. I've been using the Polymer type shok buffs since

they first came out; don't remember when. I used a red one (can't remember the brand

name) until they went out of business and have now for several years have used CP Buffs.

I think they soften the pounding between the slide and frame a little. Also they shorten the stroke a little. I've never had a gun that tears up the buffs. I can use a buff in

my current sight tracker style gun for 1200 to 1500 rounds without any major damage to

the buff. I only change them then because they are cheap. Some gunsmiths like them and others don't.

Its totally a personal choice, but most of the IPSC shooters I know use shok buffs.

• 1 month later...

Why do I need to use a shock buff? I have purchased two used pistols in the past that had them in them, I discarded them. I am inclined to think that is a bandaid for an improperly setup pistol. Am I full of Shait or missing something?

Mildot

Your right, we do not need them for a properly set up gun. Chris Keens answer was dead on right. :cheers: