Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help choosing 3 gun shotgun

jchadwick

As the title states i am looking for a shot gun to use in 3 gun matches. I am on a budget so was looking at the benelli supernova and the mossberg 930. I know the advantages of both semi auto and pump action. What i don't know is which would be a better gun for 3 gun and which would need more mods raising the overall price of the weapon. Also what mods would y'all suggest.

Jesse

PS. New to shotguns any info would be greatly appreciated

Get a semi-auto for sure. If the budget won't run to a new one, get a used one. Money spent on a pump will be money wasted (unless you are shooting a pump-only division like Heavy Metal Limited).

The Mossberg 930 JM is solid choice. Also, read the threads here on the CZ 712 Utility. You should also be able to find a used Remington 1100/11-87 under $400 if you are patient. All can be optimized for 3-gun at modest cost by anyone with ordinary hand tools. The only real must-have item is a magazine extension (you want at least 8+1, and 9+1 or 10+1 are preferred).

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Get a semi-auto for sure. If the budget won't run to a new one, get a used one. Money spent on a pump will be money wasted (unless you are shooting a pump-only division like Heavy Metal Limited).

The Mossberg 930 JM is solid choice. Also, read the threads here on the CZ 712 Utility. You should also be able to find a used Remington 1100/11-87 under $400 if you are patient. All can be optimized for 3-gun at modest cost by anyone with ordinary hand tools. The only real must-have item is a magazine extension (you want at least 8+1, and 9+1 or 10+1 are preferred).

100% right all comes down to your buget and what you realy need to star.....

There is no doubt that you will enjoy shooting a gas operated gun more than a pump or recoil operated gun. It is amazing how much the gas operation reduces recoil. I always like to buy something that has tons of aftermarket support and I believe that it is hard to beat the price of a used Remington 1100. I had a tricked out Browning Gold and sold it. This time around I picked up a used Remington 1100 with good condition wood stocks for $320 and am in the process of making it 3 gun ready. The parts are everywhere and are reasonable. I have been shooting the gun at some clays while waiting for my "Tactical" parts to arrive and it is a very soft shooting gun that is running perfect. I may get another one to set up as a 3 gun shooter and keep this one for clays! I can't get over how inexpensive these 'used' gas operated semi auto guns are.

Happy shooting no matter which semi auto gas gun you choose.

As the title states i am looking for a shot gun to use in 3 gun matches. I am on a budget so was looking at the benelli supernova and the mossberg 930. I know the advantages of both semi auto and pump action. What i don't know is which would be a better gun for 3 gun and which would need more mods raising the overall price of the weapon. Also what mods would y'all suggest.

Jesse

PS. New to shotguns any info would be greatly appreciated

I narrowed my search to those two also. I think I will get a Mossberg 930 turkey and add an extended tube.

Depends on what class you are shooting. If your shooting open or tactical go with a Bennelli M2. Go with a 24 in. barrel for open so you can go with the longer tube or 22in. for tactical. Good luck on whatever you choose.

If your going open get a R&R Saiga or a Firebird AKDAL or an FN with a XRail. For Tactical and limited get a M2.

Pat

As of needs right now the m2 is a little out of my price range. Right now i am looking into getting into the sport without spending $1000 for a shotgun and still be competitive. As time goes by and i get a feel for the competition i will buy something more to my needs. With that said i am currently trying to locate a jm pro 930. As i understand it these can be competitive out the box but is there anything else I should think about purchasing for it? Thanks again for for all the help and info.

Jesse

FWIW I picked up a used 24" m2 for $900 less than a year ago. They can be found, add a Nordic Tube and crums lifter and you're under $1000 (or at least really close) and ready to go. Save up your cash for the mods or do them yourself. Everything can be found on here and you can do everything beside lighten the bolt with a dremel from walmart.

That puts you shooting a proven platform thats won every match there is, what's the 930s track record? Last I checked they already had a recall and no one has won a major match with one yet, except maybe JM himself who get's paid to use them.

Now all that being said a buddy of mine has had a 930 for about 18 months now and has had no problems with it.

I looked at the m2 and it is a nice gun and i may get one later its just too much to justify right now while just starting out. I found a gun shop that has the jm pro for $600 so i think that's the route i am gonna take. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

I have both the 24" JM 930 and an SLP, and both need a little bit of minor work to get them easier to load, but the 930 was $575 and he SLP was $1100. And so far the 930 has been the best running gun of the 2. The SLP took some work on the barrel to get slugs to feed consistent.

Edited by Mbauer67