Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt HBAR A2 Rifle

Chuck D

I have a new in the box Colt HBAR A2 rifle that I want to use for 3 gun competition in iron sight/tactical irons division.

It's set up with Magpul furnature including the adjustable precision model stock, Magpul forearm, handgrip, and a Wilson Combat muzzle brake.

The question I have is this...the rifle is equipped with a non-removable carry handle that houses the rear sight. I have a mount from Leupold that attaches to the carry handle and provides me with the ability to use both the iron sights and an optic. Just about every rifle I see being used in 3 Gun competition has a flat top receiver (no carry handle).

Is the carry handle style rifle a disavantage in some fashion ? Does anyone use an A2 style rifle with a carry handle ?

Thanks for your input...every little bit helps !

Chuck

Edited by Chuck D

I'm limited to a 1x scope or red dot...I'm using the Ultra Dot L/T optic.

The Magpul stock has an adjustable cheekpiece that allows me to place my cheek in the correct location to the stock and the optic.

I wasn't sure If I stated this in my original post.

Dude! It has Irons on it…use them!

I ran that exact rifle (as built no mods) for many years in 3 gun and did rather well with it.

Just shoot it and if you enjoy Limited division add a freefloat handguard and extend the front sight to the end of the barrel, drop in

a trigger (I love the CMC) and race the dog snot out of it!

Patrick

Do what Mr. Kelley said. I too ran a Colt HBar when I first started 3gun and had good results with it (although I am no Patrick Kelley). If you try the dot on top of the carry handle, the sight offset will bite you on close/small targets. I have seen people shoot through props, barricades and No shoots with optics mounted on top of carry handles. Get a thinner front sight post and a good trigger, go to the range and get a good zero, know where to hold at different distances and have fun with it.

Hurley

I could also purchase a rail section for the Magpul forearm and mount the optic on the rh hand side of the rifle. When I need the optic, all I would have to do is rotate the rifle.

I plan on shooting iron sights 95% of the time but some matches allow a 1x optic so I wouldn't want to handicap myself in that respect. It does make sense to lower the optic on the rifle for the reasons posted here.

Thanks...and please continue to share your advice/opinions. This is the rifle I have to work with so getting the most from what I already own is the key.