Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124 MG JHP's versus 125 JHP Zeros

BlackBuzzard

I can get the Montana's.........not so for Zeros.

I'm thinking for my 9mm major load using Autocomp that the 124 MG's will perform very much like the 125 Zeros I just ran out of?

(1.1650 OAL; 6.8 autocomp, but a big st. deviation of 27fps) - I was surprised it made major at 171 PF.

Anyone out there with experience with both bullets?

BB

You'll most likely have to bump up your charge a couple tenths. MG's measure a little less than .355" and the zeros have always been slightly larger than .355" The velocity might also be affected by the jacket cover. I've read here that the MG's are a little harder.

That's exactly the same load I use. 124gr MG JHP, 6.8gr Autocomp, 1.165" OAL.

I just shot the Illinois Sectional, and I chrono'd at 174.5 PF. The velocities were, (if I recall), 1399, 1426, 1397.

I chalk the high velocity on the second shot up to my press/powder throw combo. I'm using a Lee Loadmaster with the Lee adjustable charge bar, and sometimes it can be inconsistent from throw to throw.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the bullet profile of the MG 124 JHP's is far different from the 125 Zero JHP's. At the same OAL, you will likely have less case capacity to work with with the MG's and that could effect the pressure significantly, especially in 9 major.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the bullet profile of the MG 124 JHP's is far different from the 125 Zero JHP's. At the same OAL, you will likely have less case capacity to work with with the MG's and that could effect the pressure significantly, especially in 9 major.

Very good point, here. The MG's are longer and loading to the same OAL will lead to higher pressures, all other things being equal.

I load the Zeros out to 1.17" if its not a compressed load to make sure there is no set back when chambering. I can go up to 1.2+" with the MG's without setback.

Parralax....

Make sure you have the powder hopper on the right way.....with the hopper opening directly over

the charge bar opening. I have the same setup and its always right on.

Ray

wink.gif The powder hopper is on correctly. This ain't my first rodeo.

The problems comes from when/if the powder hopper gets jostled. That can cause the powder to settle into the cavity and cause a slight overcharge. It's not enough to cause a KB, but it is enough to raise the velocity a bit.

Edited by Parallax3D

I just shot the Illinois Sectional, and I chrono'd at 174.5 PF. The velocities were, (if I recall), 1399, 1426, 1397.

I chalk the high velocity on the second shot up to my press/powder throw combo. I'm using a Lee Loadmaster with the Lee adjustable charge bar, and sometimes it can be inconsistent from throw to throw.

Do you think I can just down load the 6.8gr of Autocomp down to some thing for minor?

Do you think I can just down load the 6.8gr of Autocomp down to some thing for minor?

5.3 grains of Autocomp SHOULD get you somewhere around 1150 fps and a PF of 142.