Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading questions

jonb.

I inherited a 20+ year old Dillon RL550 from my Uncle. I have been putting off buying a 550 knowing that this press was buried in a family members garage, I was glad I waited. Inside the box the 550 called home for the last 20 years were 7 die sets: 9mm, 45acp, 380, 38 acp, .223, and 30-06. Some of the dies have some surface rust and the 38 dies are absolutely filthy can anyone direct me to a thread or a link that explains how to clean and dissasemble them? There was also a beam scale, a huge tumbler, 3 tool heads, reloading manuals, IMR powder, 1 box of win LP primers, ammo boxes, and case lube. The press was in pretty bad shape so I sent it back to Dillon for a complete overhaul costs me $67 dollars. I'm waiting to get it back now too see what I will still need to buy to get started. So for $67 I hit a nice little reloading jackpot.

While I'm waiting for the press I wanted to start buying some of the things I need to start here is my list so far:

small primer pick up tubes

.40 caliber conversion components, and dies (ultimately I want to reload .40, 9mm, and .223/556)

Digital scale can anyone suggest one? I have read a few posts that mention this one- http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Electronic_Powder_and_Reloading_Scale_770_gr-669-0.html but I'm not sure if I should get the 770 model vs the 1550 for a five dollar difference I figure bigger is better but I'm not sure.

Digital calipers I was told any calipers will do but am wondering what brands I should pay attention too or avoid all together?

Dillon Powder measure upgrade, or a new powder measure depending on what I get back from dillon. (the powder measure I sent with the press was of

the old style Im not sure if they will update it or make the old one serviceable)

(On the lighter side I found it funny my uncle was using one powder measure for all the calibers he was reloading! He was a cheaper SOB than me.)

Strong mount

Bullet tray

Rolling handle: I really dig the short throw handles from these guys- http://www.inlinefabrication.com/ They also have a pretty neat lighting system on their website and a riser mount similar to the strong mount. However their strong mount price point is $75 it does look beefier then the offering from dillon. Does anyone have experience with it? Is it worth the extra money?

Powder, bullets and primers obviously.

Am I missing anything? I have a good buddy to help teach me, and I'm currently assembling my bench just waiting for all the parts to come in.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Most of the Dillon manuals are available on their website. Here is the die manual which shows how to disassemble them. A little solvent, elbow grease and a light coating of oil should get them back in shape.

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-Die-Instructions-May-2007.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by MT_Bear

The jennings scale you posted is suppose to be good. I use a similar one for pistol and it works well. Not sure why one would need a 1500 grain scale for most reloading.

As for calipers, any halfway decent dial or digital caliper would be good. I prefer Mitutoyo - good quality for the price, but I keep a cheap set of cheap-o Frankford Arsenal calipers (10 bucks on sale) next to the press and while not as nice feeling or well made as Mitutoyo or Starrett, they are accurate and if they get dropped, no tears.

I personally like the old style powder measures, so I'd say use what you got until you discover if you like it or not.

The 550 is a great press and should serve you well. I still use one from the '80s right after they came out...it was less than 250 bones brand new direct from Dillon. Would love to get a 650 and dedicate it to one caliber...but the 550 does everything I need without any fuss or muss.

Jon, I'd skimp on the calipers and scale, and get

an inexpensive chronograph to make sure you're

getting what you want, safely - especially if you

are planning on loading .40 major.

:cheers:

Squared away on a chrono my shooting buddies have one and I almost never shoot solo! Thanks

Depending on the age of your manuals it may be a good idea to pick up one or two current reloading manuals. I have the ABC's of reloading, Lee, and Hornady manuals. The basic process of loading hasn't changed. Clean, size, prime..... However new components keep evolving.

I have no personal experience with the scale you mentioned but I have been very happy with my Pact digi scale. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/707006/pact-digital-precision-powder-scale-110-volt

Calipers. Be warned I worked in the gage calibration/repair shop in a manufacturing plant so my opinions may be strong and tainted. LOL We exclusively use Mitutoyo digital calipers in our facility. They hold up quite well in our 24/7 manufacturing environment. If you decide to go with dial calipers any of the big names will do. Mitutoyo, Browne & Sharpe, and Starrett are a few.

IMHO. Reloading equipment is like most other things. You can spend as little or as much as you want. As with my tools, firearms, and just about everything else I try to stay in the middle of the road.

Sounds like you hit the reloading jackpot. Good luck with your new hobby.

IMHO. Reloading equipment is like most other things. You can spend as little or as much as you want. As with my tools, firearms, and just about everything else I try to stay in the middle of the road.

I try the same approach but you have to admit the high end expensive stuff is so COOL!

However their strong mount price point is $75 it does look beefier then the offering from dillon. Does anyone have experience with it? Is it worth the extra money?

I have a pro 2000 mounted on a inlinefab ultramount it is worth every penny...I also have a dillon strong mount with a 450 on it and its solid...The only reason I didn't use the dillon mount for the pro 2000 is it wasn't tall enough the ultramount is 1.375" taller...

Edited by Xoqsnr

Just a thought, but as old as they are your dies may not be carbide but may be plain steel instead. If they are, you will need to use a lube or even replace them.

MLM

Most are carbide, their was one 9mm die that was completely destroyed but luckily he had two sets of 9mm.

I will post pics when I get the press back and I have cleaned the dies.

HOLY MOLY CALIPERS CAN GET CRAZY I think the cheapest misoyowhatsit was $75 on ebay!

Yep. Don't wanna drop them! :rolleyes:

Hence my comment about using a cheaper set for checking ammo. I have some gage blocks and the Frankford calipers give me the same readings +/- 0.001" as Mitutoyos, but they feel like a cheese grater compared to the better calipers. One nice thing is they have an auto shut off feature and they retain their last reading.

Easy way to clean dies is to disassemble them and run in tumbler for a few hours. Walnut is a little quicker but corncob works as well in the long run.

You're a genius... * basks in awe*

Edited by jonb.