Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on the 1100 competition master?

grouse

Seems like a good entry point gun. Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm a long-time Remington guy, and I ran an 11-87 successfully for 15 years. If you know how to keep them running (change failure-prone parts proactively, keep the gun scrupulously clean and lightly lubed etc.) then they can work well. HOWEVER, with all the great alternatives on the market now, I cannot in good conscience recommend buying a new Remington 1100/11-87. For what it would cost you, you would be far better off spending an extra couple of hundred bucks for an FN SLP, a Benelli M1/M2 or a Remington Versa Max Tactical (my personal favorite).

The only time a Remington 1100/11-87 makes sense is as a used gun. The world is awash with used examples for under $400, so the saving versus a new $1000-1500 gun starts to be significant enough to overcome the weaknesses of the platform (fragile internals, troublesome to install accessories etc.).

Amen to what StealthyBlagga said!

The only other thing I would add is the Remington 1100/11-87 is soft shooting compared to the Benelli. I guess the FN is comparable to the Remington in both weight and softness in shooting. If weight and or soft vs more punishing is an issue then please consider this too.

Be aware that some shotguns are ammo sensitive too. Benelli's are generally wanting a diet of hotter ammo to function as is my Saiga. The other shotguns out there are less sensitive in my experience. Generally you don't have to consider this with your .40 pistol or your AR. Damn SGs anyhow :goof:

As an RO of many Multigun matches the Remington 1100 has about the poorest reputation out there for reliability followed close/a tie with the Saiga's out there...of course there are exceptions out there of both. I have an older 1100 that I can't make fail!!!! It looks like it was drug behind a quad for about 2 miles down a dirt road but it just works. I have/had 3 1100 comp masters that I just can't/won't use because they will puke at least once a stage! I preform/ed the same maintenance on all of them...Just saying! Needless to say I have only one 1100 comp master now just as a go to hell SG.

Hope this helps more than confuses you,

Sincerely,

Busyhawk

I have been using an 1100 for a while as well, but I should preface my comments by pointing out that I don't shoot 3 gun that much. I love doing it, but I don't go to too many matches. I do keep the equipment ready and when I can shoot a match, I do.

I have had two 1100s. Some of you reading this might remember that one of them was stolen at a match; I still don't know how it happened but it wasn't there. Both of them have were equally good.

I have shot both Benellis, Saigas, and Remingtons, and I think the 1100 shoots the softest. I recognize that there are people who think that they are unreliable, but as long as I use hot enough ammo to cycle mine (nothing in a 100-round bulk pack will run), mine have both run great and I don't have too many complaints. I am NOT religious about cleaning any of my guns. I do keep them lubed and if I clean one, I tend to go to the safe and clean all of them. Even then, if I were to shoot 200 rounds through my shotguns in a year, I'd be really surprised.

The other thing you should consider is 18 U.S.C 922®. There are concerns about assembling a shotgun that violates 922® should be part of your consideration, especially if you want a pistol grip. 922® does not apply to non-imported shotguns.

I think the 1100 is plenty reliable when it good condition and maintained and I will continue to enjoy mine.

• 1 month later...

Versamax is the way to go. Soft shooting. Cycles anything i put through it. I have the 26" field model that i did a tactical package on. It will hold an extra round over the benellis since its chambered to run 3 1/2" shells. My wife shoots an M2 right now but switching to versamax because it has less recoil.

I shot a Competition Master for several years. With proper shell selection and diligent maintenance it was a reliable and enjoyable shotgun to shoot. I replaced it at the beginning of this season with a Versamax Tactical and let me say, it's a better shotgun in every way. I got the MVT in April and have not cleaned it or maintained it in any way other than keeping it lubed. It has not failed, or even come close to failing yet. It shoots loads that my 1100 simply refused to work with. Federal Pinks, Winchester Low Recoil Slugs and several hundred rounds of assorted range left overs from the past 10 years. The VMT just eats them all. On top of that it loads much faster than any 1100.

At $800 or so the 1100 is only about $300 less than a Versamax Tactical and an extra $300 spent on upgrading the 1100 does not get it even close to the level of performance of the Versamax. If it is impossible to afford the Versamax then get a Mossberg JM Pro. As others have said before, wile the 1100 is a nice gun, new models and new features have left if far down on the list of competitive shotguns. Benelli, Versamax, Mossberg, FN-SLP, SX-3, all are far superior to the 1100.