Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trade M1 Super 90 for a Remmy Versa Max Tactical....Would You?

Nalapombu

Hey all,

I was having a chat with a buddy of mine the other day and we were talking shotguns. I don't compete at all, but might like to try it in the future. I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 24 inch barrel, it's mint. I have been looking for a 21 inch barrel to trade for, but haven't been successful and am thinking of going a different way or maybe trading it for something I have been wanting like a Peacemaker or something else. Well my buddy mentions that I should check out the new Remington Versa Max Tactical. He tells me a bit about it and I go and check it out. Looks like a really nice tactical shotgun. I haven't read any detailed reviews, but some of the stuff I have read looks to be pretty darn positive. So I started thinking a bit and doing a bit of math.

Would you trade a M1S90 with a 24 inch for the new Remington Versa Max 22 inch Tactical? If I were able to find someone I would most likely be looking at a trade for a USED Remmy as they are pretty pricey NIB. I don't know what they go for used, there can't be that many of them out there on the USED market yet could there?

If given the choice, which one would you rather have, the M1 or the Versa Max and why? Can anyone tell me a bit about the Versa Max and if it is as good as the Benelli M1 is. I would be using it as a Home defense and fun on the range weapon and maybe sometime later this year or next, give this 3 gun stuff a try.

Just kinda thinking out loud and would like your thoughts on it, if you don't mind sharing them.

As an aside, how does the Mossy JM 22 inch version compare to the Benelli autos like mine?

Thanks all

Nalajr

I have not shot the Remington Versamax but I have handled one and the thing that instantly came to mind was heavy. Not bad compared to a FN slp or Benelli M4 but it felt a lot heavier than a M2.

Pat

You would be trading your M1 for an M1 clone. Don't get me wrong the Versa Max has a lot of potential. But until I see one at match that has the charging handle removed because its uneeded Im sticking with my Benelli's.

M1 Clone? What am I missing? I've heard the Benelli trigger group works in there, but the operating system is completely different than the M1. Now if you said it's an M4 clone, that I'd believe.

You would be trading your M1 for an M1 clone. Don't get me wrong the Versa Max has a lot of potential. But until I see one at match that has the charging handle removed because its uneeded Im sticking with my Benelli's.

M1 Clone? What am I missing? I've heard the Benelli trigger group works in there, but the operating system is completely different than the M1. Now if you said it's an M4 clone, that I'd believe.

M4 came from the M1 it's all inertia driven stuff. Remington is just trying to improve a great system.

I assume the weight difference is for a 26" VersaMax versus a 24" Benelli M2?

If so, would a 22" VersaMax Tactical weight about the same as a 24" Benelli?

Mick

Work on both. M2 is 12oz lighter, rem. has twice size bigger loading port and about 20% less recoil. Both are reliable, pick your poison.

M4 came from the M1 it's all inertia driven stuff. Remington is just trying to improve a great system.

OK, from my looking at the Versamax and M4 it looked like they were both operated, at least in part, by gas. They have little pistons under the barrel. Definitely not there on my M1 which has no gas ports at all. Seems like a pretty major difference to me, but what do I know.

The M4 is a gas gun so is the Versamax and hence part of the reason for the extra heft and less recoil.

I assume the weight difference is for a 26" VersaMax versus a 24" Benelli M2?

If so, would a 22" VersaMax Tactical weight about the same as a 24" Benelli?

Mick

Work on both. M2 is 12oz lighter, rem. has twice size bigger loading port and about 20% less recoil. Both are reliable, pick your poison.

While at Sportsmanshorehouse I compared the Versamax with a M2 of equal barrel lengthe the M2 is significantly lighter.

The only reason I'm posting on this ridiculous topic is because of the misinformation being given. Really guys!!!! 2 pages of "should I trade a Benelli for a Versa Max"......really!!!!

Twice the size is a bit of an exaggeration!! the loading port on a Versa is made to handle a 3.5" shell while the M1/M2 is made to handle a 3" shell. Basically you have a gas assisted Super Black eagle with the Versa, both have the same relative size loading port.(made for a 3.5" shell)

Yes, Chuck the Versa is closer to an M4 clone than a M1/M2, My SBE 24" fitted for competition weighs in at just under 7# with a 10+1 capacity, the Versa tactical 22" barrel is listed at 7.75# with a 8+1 capacity. The mag tube on my SBE sticks out less than an 1.25" past the end of the choke tube.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

The Versa-Max is not an inertia system in any sense of the word. It is a short stroke piston design, like an M 1 carbine, or M-14. There is NO inertia spring. It is gas operated ONLY! An M-4 Benelli IS A hybrid, as it has an inertia spring in the bolt carrier, AND it has a short stroke piston system as well. None of them are "clones" of the other, but they are similar.