Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping firearms

BigDave

I hate having a firearm shipped to my FFL over a week ago and it still hasn't arrived.  I was given a 'tracking number' by the sender, supposedly from the US Post Office, but the website shows it as being "invalid tracking number".  Unfortunately, I believe it has been "lost".  Thankfully, it was insured.  

What really makes my ass itch is the let-down.  This was a purchase I was really looking forward to receiving.  Dammit I'm pissed off.

/rant  OFF

I would have to say that the United States Post Office is the worst, most unreliable, backwardass, shipper in the business.  I have had computers raped (guts stolen but the casing still arrives), birthday cards stolen, packages arrive damaged or open.  They suck!  

One time I even had to go to war with the post office over a vindictive carrier who refused to deliver my mail because I have a dog!  And my mail box is 1/4 mile down the street from my fenced yard!  I smote the post office so all is well now but AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH.  I hate those people!

Okay I fell all better now :)

-jhgtyre

Well, the 'item' in question was our Host's old Team Challenge 10/22.  Although, it didn't come straight from him (Brian), it is coming from the guy he sold it to, which he never fired (after the sale).

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't that big a deal.  But to me, here and now, it is really important.  Yeah, it is only a 10/22, but it isn't your everyday 10/22, that's for sure.

It was "shipped" 10 days ago.  I'll bet someone else is really happy now, but I sure as hell am not.  

I need to smoke...

Ohh Happy Day!!!  Got my package, finally.  I'm elated that it finally arrived, but my lesson is learned.  Never ship a firearm via USPS.  Yeah, it might be cheaper, but I'd rather pay another (FedEx specifically) more for piece of mind.

Woo hoo, now just to shoot the damn thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Dave - same thing happened to me from the same seller using same FFL to ship out firearm through US Postal Service (USPS) - even had same traccking number failure. There was a big, unexplained, delay and it was not shipper's fault - he sent it on the day promissed.  My guese for the delay is heightened security caused both packages to be pulled and examined by postal service while en route.  Not sure if it was an x-ray hit, a "sniffer" machine detecting fired powder residue, or maybe a flag placed on every package to/from an FFL or to FFL - any of these are possible and I doubt we will ever know. Local FFL said its happening to most of his guns rec'd though US post.  My lesson learned: will insist on UPS Overnight w/full insurance next time.

Here's another lesson learned. I had my last blaster shipped overnight UPS but the receiving FFL did not open until 10am so my gun rode around all day until the UPS dude had made all of his other deliveries and had time to return.

I used to send things UPS because I could do so free.  (the company paid)

Then I sent Ned Christiansen back some loaners he had sent me for the 1911 book.  The driver nearly had a movement when he saw the small box was insured for $7000.  He asked "What's in it?"  Guns.  "Well, for seven grand they're going to want to open it and see."  I told him I was warning the recipient that if the box appeared to have been opened to refuse to sign for it, and call his attorney.  In the event of the box being opened, UPS was going to have a holy row of a fight on their hands.

It arrived unopened, and I switched to FedEx.

You can ship economy air, it takes two or three days, but it is a lot cheaper, and arrives no problem.

Glad to hear you got your rifle Dave.  Ups is no better.  They require this next day thing now because they were having a huge problem with theft.  I have heard from ex ups employees that it was was quite a common occurence 8 or 10 years ago.  If they saw a package that was being shipped to or from a gunsmith or to a firearms manufacturer it would miraculously disappear.  Esecially to a firearms manufacturer they would rip off the labels and tracking number and stick it onto another package.  This way when the manufacturer got their daily shipment of x number of packages, it would be signed for and the tracking number would be considered received and signed for.   Then you would call the manufacturer and they would tell you no we haven't received your gun yet but then you check with ups and they tell you its already been delivered and signed for.  

Just be glad that you received yours Dave...

Hows it shoot?????

Thanks man.  Man, the thing is just sweet.  It took a while to figure out what scope mount it was drilled for, but I got it done.  It will do nice little .5 to .75" hole at 25 yds of of a rest.  I am sure it will do much better than that once I feed it some more different types of ammo.  Oh, the trigger is a thing of beauty.  Accuracy Speaks did it right.