Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 limited build

APL-G35

Hello: My 6" slide weights just 11 ozs bare. A stock 5" slide weights about 13ozs. I will stick with the 6" slide and bushing barrel for limited.

You had to make a lot of chips to get to 11 oz, though. For those of us without a mill and/or ability, that usually = lots of $. A stock 5" simply cut for a hybrid bbl is probably close to 11 oz without having to do (or pay) for anything else.

What is old is new. We are reinventing the Clark Pin Gun

Soon it will be compensators, optical sights, big magazines...

Where is the "Practical" going in our sport

I agree. That's what happens when you get some truly crappy interpretations that allowed the sighttrackers and trusights to be legal.

It's not just getting the slide to weigh X amount, it's about removing the weight in the right areas to keep the slide in balance. The whole point of a six inch gun is the increased sight radius. So the best way is to keep any extra weight at a minimum to get a six inch length and have a simplistic group of parts to achieve the final system.

Rich

Something like this, without the ports: post-354-0-65618500-1346907457_thumb.jpg

I think Chip had his slide cut back but the overall length of the barrel/comp was about 7" and the front sight was on the very last 1/4"

post-354-0-99611600-1346908399_thumb.jpg

You could use a skinny 6" bbl and have an aluminum or Ti false comp out to 7 or wherever. Save from having to adjust your CR or Safariland holster moving from Open to Ltd and back.

Edited by eric nielsen

would it be worth going out to 7" sight radius? was thinking a 5" tri-slide, extended bull barrel threaded with the blank comp to 7".

Back in the pre-red dot open days, I shot something similar to Chip McCormick's gun pictured above. I thought having the longer sight radius was a definite advantage. I'd worry that with long bull barrels with blank comps you can add a lot of weight on the end. Might end having to run a ballpoint pen spring to get it to cycle.

So another way next year might turn into 1987: threaded bushing barrels with comp fitted over the bushing -

post-354-0-04767600-1346981585_thumb.jpg

Way back when there used be a half-dozen companies (Wilson was the biggest, Plaxco is in photo) selling drop-in comp-kits. They worked really well, but most custom gunsmiths would use cone comps (on a skinny barrel) which were a tiny bit better. I never understood the desire for huge bull barrels that fill up almost the whole interior of the slide. Not in Open anyway.

• 2 weeks later...