Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

winchester SX2

KAL

I am looking to buy a shotgun for limited Div.  And was told the new way to go was the SX2 MK1. and that it could be push fed from the bottom into a dry chamber.  No more roll it in the side from the ejection port.  Any info  would be great,  I was set to order a 1187 from JP,  Now I don't know

The main difference between a Browning Gold and Winchester SX2 is that the Gold can be loaded from the bottom into an empty chamber.  The SX2 cannot.  These guns got a lot of press because of an article in Front Sight magazine claiming they could get shot splits of .12 versus a "slow" Benelli of about .14.  Maybe this is useful to "Machine Gun Kelly" but it is not of much use to an average shooter.  The are also reliability issues and parts availability issues with these guns.  I don't want to make too much of a case, when I shot my first 3-Gun about 4 yrs ago, I borrowed my wifes Gold Sporting Clays.  However, I decided on a Benelli and have no second thoughts about that selection.  They are sensitive to loads but thats just something you have to learn about and then no problem

I have a Win SX2 for my limited gun.  I have had no problems with it at all.  I bought it used from a friend and know that he fired about a 100 through it when I got it.  I've seen it jam a few times, but after I got it its run like a champ.  Thats with light birdshot to slugs.  I really like it and plan on using it for limited.

I will admit my friend stayed with his Benelli's though.....food for thought........

• 1 month later...

I got a Browning Gold Turkey model last fall. It is the same basic action as the Winchester SX2. It has a 24" barrel so the exteded tube is about the same length. I put a SureCycle +5 extension on that works well after doing a little bit of tuning to the mag spring. I originally had problems with the bolt coming out of battery from all of the pressure from the loaded mag tube. I cut 1 1/2 coils off of the spring and never looked back. I also put a side saddle on from 3 Gun Gear. This gun shoots everything from 3/4oz. skeet loads to 3" mags without skipping a beat. Plus I can use it for all types of shooting from trap and skeet to upland game to turkey. It hauls a** in 3-gun matches. Im really glad I bought it.

Stinger Out!

I love mine :wub: If we didn't shoot guns that have had they're problems we would be throwing bullets at matches instead of shooting.

I got the MK 1 because the fiber optic is the fastest on the steel and the rear leaf can be flipped up for precise slug shooting. The ghost ring is nice on the MK2 (especialy the protected front sight) but is a compromise for both shot and slug.

• 1 month later...

Due to all the hype I saw a second hand SX2 in a shop last week and bought it. How do I tell if its a MK1 or MK2, or is the answer in the name?

Mine was made in the 'European Union', is this common or are they made in the US and Europe.

I have had a couple of teething problems with it so far where it likes to double feed the 65mm 32gram cartridges I shoot, I recall a previous thread where others reported this and will have to look up the remedy. There are no apparent problems shooting 67mm and above length cases. It may be a case that it was not designed to shoot such short cartridges.

Initial impressions are good for 3 gun type shooting and within 15 mins of practicing I was quicker at loading it than my trusted 11/87, especially top ups in the shoulder. I must admit it seems a lot stronger, simpler and robust than a 11/87, and being a staunch Remmy fan (and Benelli scorner) that takes a lot for me to say. :rolleyes: I think more assessment is needed before my 87 goes into retirement. Kal I will let you know the results.

cheers