Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus PT 1911

buckaroo45

I have 2 PT 1911's. One has the stock 3 white dot sights, the other has fiber optic front and rear. I've forgotten where I got them. Neither set is adjustable and both guns shoot about 3 inches low at 12 yards, my USPSA sight in distance. Ammo makes little difference as I've run 230 gr FMJ loaded w/ Clays and 185 gr FMJ SWC's loaded w/ 700X. Can't seem to find any taller fronts or adjustable rear. It's tough enough for an old guy to get a bullseye hold without having to remember to aim high. I'm already too slow. Then there's the 8" plate problem. :eatdrink: Any ideas?

Edited by buckaroo45

Try here:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT%3ATaurus+Front+Sights:Taurus+Fiber+Optic+Inserted+Front+Sights

They have sights that are different heights. Someone else on here recommended them to me. I'm going to take mine to a smith to have him measure my sights so I can know which ones to get

That's 3" below of wherever I aim. I understand the lower front sight solution. The FO's came as a set and shouldn't have the problem + the original 3 dots are factory. Both shoot low. Seems to be a PT1911 trait. Also appears to be a mystery as to which cut is involved; Bomar, Novak, Heinie etc.

I guess the better question is how to tell which cut is on the gun.

Get a BoMar clone installed on them and you'll be able to adjust them any way you wish.

Even though they have "Novak" sights on them, Taurus makes the sights and uses their own cut - whose size doesn't match anyone elses. Dawson does sell front sights which will fit the cut on the Taurus.

Get a BoMar clone installed on them and you'll be able to adjust them any way you wish.

Even though they have "Novak" sights on them, Taurus makes the sights and uses their own cut - whose size doesn't match anyone elses. Dawson does sell front sights which will fit the cut on the Taurus.

Did not now that, thanks for that info. Getting ready to take mine to the Smith tomorrow to have him measure and check everything out so I can know which size Dawson sights to get myself.

Replace the bushing. I have one in 9mm and one in 45. Both had the bushings replaced due to the same issue. The 9mm I used an EGW carry melt pre-fit. The 45 I used a Match EGW. It cured the issue with low impact, averaging between 4-6". Also, check that your barrel is fully locking with no play while in battery position. The combination between a sloppy bushing, and play in the link / lockup can cause havoc with low shots.