Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Targets are diffrent

Jon Merricks

This may not really matter but I had a Hot Shot target and a Target Barn target and put them up against each other and the Hot Shot target was larger, around the shoulder (if you will) area. I didn't measure it but it was close to 3/4" to 1" diffrence. I did have any others to compare it too. Does anybody have multiple brands to compare?

I've seen this fairly often (although not to the extent of an inch). I end up seeing it because I work so many big matches where we leave the original target as a backer, and end up putting up new shoot targets on top. Sometimes they line up perfectly, sometimes not (never seen more than a 1/4 inch though and usually less than an eighth of an inch). I would assume that the targets for a major match are all from the same manufacturer, but haven't really checked. I usually attributed the difference to the fact that one of the targets sat outside overnight and probably picked up some moisture.... ;)

Give Dave Thomas a call at the USPSA office. He manages the license agreements under which the various target manufacturers produce the USPSA targets, and can tell you what the tolerances are for adherance to nominal dimensions.

And, if the targets in question don't meet spec, he'll know what to do about it...

Bruce