Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 hanging up on the downstroke

I've got an RL-1050 set up for 9mm, it's always been rock-solid reliable.

The last two times I've run it, it has developed a "hitch" in the downstroke. Feels like it is hitting a hard stop somewhere towards the bottom of the stroke. If I raise the handle slightly, and down again, it is fine... until the next downstroke. The downstroke itself is smooth, no resistance... until it hits something, and stops.

I haven't changed anything recently, and I keep it clean and lubed. I've checked to see if there is a random primer stuck somewhere in the works. It's not an upside-down case or anthing like that. Nothing "obvious" appears to be wrong.

Before I start tearing the thing apart, any ideas what I might want to look at?

Your going to have to isolate the problem before you take it apart or you'll just have a pile of parts sitting there without a clue of what to fix. Does it happen if you cycle the press empty?

Edited by jmorris

jakers -

I ran about 600 rounds thru my 1050 this weekend - .38s. My press also felt like it was hitting something solid every now and then at the bottom of the downstroke. I believe I isolated it to my sizer die - the cases seemd to be hitting the die off center - I am using my RCBS dies in the tool head. I just raised the handle and turned the shell casing a little and brought the handle down again (somethimes I just raised the handle and pulled it back down with no resistance on the second pull). I believe Dillon says they radius their dies a little more to prevent this from happening. I may look for a used Dillon sizer die and try it out. This may have happened every 25 to 30 rounds - a little annoying when you're trying to get a rhythm going. Just a thought - I am a newbie to the 1050.

Cheers -

OVW

I have experienced this often with my 1050 and I have found two causes

1) Priming issues which are covered in many other threads. If the primer bar does not get in alignment it will stop hard on the down stroke

2) Impropper Tool head alignment. If you tighten your toolheads on with the handle up then you can be just a hair off on the down stroke. I always run the nut down hand tight then run the tool head to the bottom to put a wrench on it. That has helped keep everything in alignment for me.

Retread.

Thanks, guys. This is a press that has run-and-run-and-run, and I haven't changed the toolhead or dies in... years. I checked and they're still all tightened down.

I also know it isn't a case-mouth hitting the bottom of a die, because the "clunk" happens just before the case enters the first die. When it happens, I can look and see daylight between the case-mouth and the bottom of the die at each station. The weird thing is that when there are no cases or primers in the press, it moves like butter - the "clunk" only happens when it is fully loaded up, and once it starts it happens on *every* downstroke.

I'll take a good look at the priming system. I haven't changed out the rubber tubing in a couple of years, maybe it has worn or flattened - that's a good possibility, one I'd forgotten about.

I'll also check the detent ball.

Thanks!

If the tool head hasn't been off in some time it may be time for a complete cleaning and lubrication session. I tend to take my RL down avery time the bearings get even a little dry which tends to be every year or 20,000 rounds or so.

Good luck and let us know what the problem was when you figure it out.