Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B low primer sensor not working

I ran thru 100 primers thru my 550B and my low primer sensor did not go off.

i manually touched the sensor and it does indeed buzz. However the rod doesn't seem to want to go all the weigh down.

should i attach a weight on top of the rod? or will that affect the priming system?

new rod needed?

Got a brass shell casing on the primer rod on every Dillon machine I own. Someone - on THIS Forum - told me to do that 20 yrs ago and I have never had any problems since....

Don't see that as anything but smart insurance on my part.

Why mask the root problem by adding a weight? Determine why the rod will not go all the way down and remedy the problem. That problem may cause other problems.

Pat

I don't think it is that major of a problem. It is simply that the follower is and always has been too light to always work by itself. Putting a case on it or even gluing a bullet to it is about as common a mod as there is for the Dillon machines.

Why mask the root problem by adding a weight? Determine why the rod will not go all the way down and remedy the problem. That problem may cause other problems.

Pat

I don't think it is that major of a problem. It is simply that the follower is and always has been too light to always work by itself. Putting a case on it or even gluing a bullet to it is about as common a mod as there is for the Dillon machines.

I'm not saying it never exists, but of the Square Deal, two 550's and two 650's I've owned i never had that problem.

Pat