Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for Glock 34

Nimitz

Ive just started reloading with my XL 650 and loaded about 200 rds of 124g lead under 4.4g of WST . The first 30-40 rds shot with no issue but then I started to have feed issues. I'd take a full mag and when I attempted to rack the slide the gun would not go fully into battery. I'm trying to eliminate issues one at a time to ID the problem so what OAL are folks loading 9mm rds for Glock 34s? I've been using 1.15. I also am using a Lee undersized resizing die in station one ... The rds go in my Lee case gauge as well but not in mybarrel

Edited by Nimitz

1.143"

If your trying to eliminate problems, I highly highly recommend changing away from WST powder and lead bullets. Just because thats a dirty dirty load and its going to give you a dirty dirty gun. I stopped using lead bullets a long time ago, just got tired of all that wax getting in my dies.

sounds like I need to try shortening the OAL, as for switching from lead that's not really feasible ... I'm putting 700 rds/week down range and I can load lead for .10/rd ... if I go to MG FMJs (which I do plan to use for matches BTW) that brings the rds to .12/rd or an extra $20/1000; adds up at 25,000 rds/yr. Now what I am probably going to do is get an after market barrel to eliminate the leading issue altogether. Appreciate the feedback so I'll load some at 1.135 and see how it goes ...

You mentioned lead so I have to ask about how you mentioned that they do not go into your barrel, OAL could be the cause but what about bullet diameter? Measure a jacketed round at the crimp shoulder & compare them to your lead load. What type of bullet profile? Round nose or truncated can make a big difference in OAL. Measure the diameter of your lead bullets are they .356 or larger? A crimp adjustment may be what you need.

As was mentioned earlier, lead can build up pretty quickly & the chamber mouth could be really dirty.

glockman: the bullets are round nose at .356 from Missouri bullets. I actually have a pack of 250 flat nose 124g from Precision bullets which I haven't used yet since I only have the seating die insert for round nose ... I think part of my issue may have been a dirty barrel. Anotehr shooter took a couple of my rounds & they chambered just fine in his G34 ...

I'm hoping that shortening the OAL just a tad & an after market barrel will lick this ...

I also had set the roll crimp die to match the bullet diameter + double the brass wall thickness to ensure I wasn't over crimping & deforming the bullet ... I assume this was the right thing to do?

You got your bases covered, one thing I would check is to grab a handful of bullets & randomly measure them with a caliper for consistency of diameter. Mass produced lead bullets can vary to a point. I do agree with the dirty barrel conclusion though, I only use lead in my G21 with a factory barrel & after 50 rounds there is lead build up in the chamber mouth. On my .40's I use lead but with KKM & Bar-Sto barrels. I throated both barrels to give me options when loading my cast bullets.

I would suggest a standard crimp die, roll crimp dies are meant for revolver loads.

glockman: the bullets are round nose at .356 from Missouri bullets. I actually have a pack of 250 flat nose 124g from Precision bullets which I haven't used yet since I only have the seating die insert for round nose ... I think part of my issue may have been a dirty barrel. Anotehr shooter took a couple of my rounds & they chambered just fine in his G34 ...

I'm hoping that shortening the OAL just a tad & an after market barrel will lick this ...

missouri 124gr bullets are known to be needind to seat deeper due to the ogive. compare it to other bullets and it a lot less pointy. I would just do the barrel test and shorten it till the drop free from the barrrel

I used the term roll crimp but it is the standard 9mm crimp die from dillion ... As for bullet hardness what number should I be looking at? Finally, I actually had 3 bullet samples I was going to test to determine which ones I wanted to go with. The first ones I loaded up (which had no issue) were 124 rd nose from snS casting ... This batch I'm having issues with are the ones from Missouri which I was not aware of their need to be seted lower. I also have a 250 rd sample pck from precision bullet but they are flat nose and I currently don't have a seating insert for flt nose. I have a sample pack of 147g lead from SnS as well because I wanted to see if I wanted to go with 147 vice 124. However, for right now I just want to get the 124g rd nose working.

Also, friend of mine who reloads said I could use the rd noe seating inert on flat nose bullet? Wouldn't that just turn my flat nose into round nose?

I measured several factory loaded rounds jhp and round nose. The majority of the oal measurements were right around 1.100 to 1.108 with a tapper crimp of .372-.376. This is what I am going to try. I am loading 4.4 grains of W 231, for use in Glock 17 and 34.

ok, cleaned my barrel & worked up some rounds at 1.135-1.139 ... the variance I think is still due to me learning to use the machine ..... also brought along the rounds which ended up short at 1.125 - 1.13 as i was adjusting the seating die.

went to the range this morning on my way to work & all rounds worked flawless including the short ones. So looks like I'm good to go, next step is to chrono them to dial in the exact powder load I want to go with.

Couple of final questions: what is the theory behind using a round nose bullet vice a flat point or truncated cone bullet? Is one supposed to be better than the other for certtain applications? My ammo is for USPSA pistol & 3-gun.

In my collection of samples I have 250 124g flat nose lead bullets from Precision (didn't realize they were flat nose till they showed up). Also, the 147g lead bullets I have from SnS casting are flat nose.

Lastly, is there anything different I need to do or worry about when loading flat nose vice round nose bullets (same bullet weight)?

No expert on bullet design, but RN was probably used to make mimic practice ammo that would function in military styled pistols for reliability. TC/FN supposedly would transfer more energy during impact with an object & flatten more to prevent over penetration. All conjecture on my part though.