Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 590 spx, is it suitable for 3 Gun?

Hello,

I have been shooting 3 Gun for under a year now and have been using my 870 Tac Express. This gun will not cycle cheap target loads consistently even after polishing the chamber. I have decided to buy another shotgun.

In Canada we have a 5rd limit on auto loading center-fire rifles so semi auto shotguns are limited to 5rds while pumps are not. That is the reason I was considering the 590. I will have the barrel threaded for a choke of course.

Do any of you use this shotgun in 3 Gun? What mods have you performed?

Thanks

I HAD that shotgun for about 4 months, running it in 3 gun. I had the barrel threaded for chokes as well. It shoots slugs like an absolute champ (due to those sights). I had a ton of reliability issues with it and realized that it only liked to run the brass loads (or anything really expensive). I determined it to be a lost cause and parted ways with that after that realization. Honestly, if I were you, I'd see about trying to get an Benelli M1 or M2. By the time you get all the money put into the 930, you would only be a few bucks off of a Benelli anyway. Just my $.02

Thanks Ckell, I have that very issue with the 870. I have decided to part ways with it due to reliability. I will never buy a Remington product again!

I was hoping to go the cheap route and only spend 500 or so on the Mossberg getting a used one. I have heard good things about the M1 and M2. I will see what a used one up here in Canada will sell for.

Thanks

My 930 SPX ran 100% with low brass rounds. I left the bolt back when ever it was stored and the spring lightened up slightly. Had chokes installed by forum member Guncat.

I trimmed the forearm back to clear the loading area better. It could have used a couple more rounds in the tube, but for your purposes the gun would be fine as is. Half the price of a Benelli.

Or you could follow the " I only shoot with brand X because it's the best and I only shoot with the best" crowd.

Thanks Sfinney, unfortunately with our 5rd mag limit on auto loaders the 930 would put me at a disadvantage in 3 Gun. I purchased some AA shells yesterday and I am going to try cycling them through the 870 rapidly. If they work I will keep it use them for competitions. I am very disappointed with the quality of the 870.

I'm guessin the AAs will run 100%.

Iv had the same issues with my 870 & low brass fixes any of my problems.

The 590 is nice but it potentialy could have the same problems as the 870.

However it seems like any of the mossbergs iv used didn't bind up as bad as remington products.

Mossberg prolly builds em with looser chambers???

I have 2 870s, never had an issue with either. ( probably should not of said that!). My only complaint is the small loading port. Been thinking about a Benelli nova or super nova. Load port is huge, and seem to reload fast. If you watch you tube from the high plains shotgun challenge you will buy one this afternoon! I love my m1, I switched from a Saiga. I could never figure out all the fuss about Benelli until I bought one, now I know.

Back in the early days of SOF there were quite a few guys running 590's. The open loading gate of the Mossberg made it easy to load two at a time.

Most guys running pump guns now seem to be using the Benelli Nova, or Super Nova?

My competition pump gun is still the 870. Ive got a pair I take to work everyday, couple more in the safe and I spen a few days a year teaching on them. I love them. Don't really know what all the talk of problems with them is. I've had great success with them for over twenty years. Never had a bad gun.

Been running a 590 that I had chokes installed in all year. It works great, the only thing really limiting me is how fast I can load the tube. It hasn't had any reliability problems like some saiga's or other tube fed semi autos, as long as you don't short stroke the pump it will always load and eject.

Good luck,

Jeremy

P.S. I am going to upgrade to a 930 jm and keep the 590 as my backup.