Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38TJ brass

kineteks

Aside from the $18.50 more per K cost of Starline TJ brass is there any reason why 38SC is more popular (as in always out of stock) than TJ? From what I have read on this forum the two are interchangeable in a pistol and reloading press set-up for one or the other. A very slight difference in case volume may or may not exist. Both are reported to feed the same and withstand major loads to the same degree. TJ may re-size full length due to it's taller (wider?) extractor groove depending on the resizing die... am I missing anything? Is there any reason to choose one over the other? I'm currently using Starline 38SC and I'm going to need some brass soon :)

There are some older threads that cover the details/comparisons of the various brass for 38's. It sounds like you have it pretty much figured out though. Maybe somebody will be along with greater hands-on experience than me (It has been a good while for me, and I have only loaded Super Comp.)

The TJ brass has a slightly narrower extractor groove waist, providing slightly more rim for the extractor to grab, and a little more room the the extractor hook, which can reduce extractor tension slightly compared to other brass. Otherwise, you've noted the other differences.

http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

Todd went to great lengths to design a case to work well in a big stick with (Para) grooves in the side. Should work at least as well the other rimless cases in grooved STI big sticks too. Just chrono your rounds, like you would any time you change brands of brass, might adjust powder charge by a few 10ths of a grain; will likely hit the same point of aim.

the TJ brass works perfectly in my gun as well as 38SC. i think you are correct when you talk about resizing the TJ brass where the die will be able to reach further down the body. on some of my 38SC brass, the Lee U-die will sometimes shave some of the brass on the 38SC, have not have it happen with TJ brass.

i bought a casepro so hopefully the rest of my 38SC brass will go unmolested when i run it through the u-die (after caseproing) :)

did not have any noticeable difference in velocity between the TJ and 38SC but your gun may vary.

at least i know i have an option if i can't get 38SC (i've also used Lapua 38 Super brass but it's been discontinued).

Edited by HI5-O