Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Man's Brass Tumbler?

Lifeislarge

I've been thinking about putting my brass in some Folgers coffee bins (the big plastic ones) with media, duct taping the lids on real good, then throwing them in the dryer with some towels on air dry (no heat). Think that would work? :blink:

I wasn't sure. I've been reading about people using cement mixers to tumble brass so I figured what the heck, why not? I'm still going to try it as soon as I can get some dirty brass and media. Besides, the dishwasher works great for cleaning engine parts, and the oven for powder coating, so why not find good uses for all the other appliances :devil: :devil: :devil:

A new tumbler is probably cheaper than repairing your dryer. I'm guessing the cement mixer people are doing it wet probably with stainless steel pins or other wet suitable media.

I just wipe my brass off and so far I haven't seen a single issue with loading nor shooting. Maybe I've missed something in my reading but I've been advised by some pretty old reloaded that brass doesnt have to be shiny to operate correctly and safely. By all means correct me if I'm wrong however.

Me and a friend use a cement mixer, it's one of the smaller ones with a polymer barrel from lowes/homedepot. It's great only have to tumble brass once or twice a year.

Me and a friend use a cement mixer, it's one of the smaller ones with a polymer barrel from lowes/homedepot. It's great only have to tumble brass once or twice a year.

What is the ~capacity of the smaller cement mixer...?

I'm curious as well. I have various 5 gallon buckets of brass that are range pick up from an outdoor range that I'd like to clean and possibly resell.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm also thinking about buying a cheap dryer off of Craigslist, removing the door and the agitators, and using it to turn a 5 gallon bucket if it'll fit inside the drum. Don't need heat, or anything fancy at all. I've seen them for as little as $10. I've got plenty of room in my shed so if my initial test works, I may just go for it. I know, soooo frikkin redneck :D

Buy one. I bought one tumbler ever, in 1991, an orange Lyman model. It's polishing 38 Super brass right now. I replaced the power cord once, and I replaced the threaded center column that holds down the lid once.

Edited by eric nielsen