Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification topics

JD45

Would anyone out there care to start a FAQ thread about USPSA classification? I shoot mainly IDPA and a L10 match every so often. Searching doesn't help much, and the USPSA website can't cover everything. I want to join USPSA someday and shoot both.

1. How is the top score determined in each classifier? If TGO shoots it, is that the 100% mark?

2. Does a shooters percentage in the final overall results of a L10 match reflect his skill even close to where he should be classified?

I'll think of more latter. IDPA guys will appreciate your help.

Lots of talk of this going on now with some new questions raised.

If you search for it you will find at least a dozen posts on it.

100% is an average of the top shooter

2. it depends on who is there.

There's theory ("The top 10 runs at any given time set the HHF") and there's reality (HHF never changes once set, and is sometimes set arbitrarily)--- I'm hoping this will change next year.

Local match results are not directly comparable to national classifier %'s, unless the top shooter happens to shoot exactly 100% nationally

The HHF has changed, albeit not often.

The HHF is the average of the top 10 or so we are lead to believe.

If you want to get classified, join USPSA. The sooner you join, the sooner you will be classified. You need 4 classifers for an initial classificatin, then it gets a bit more confusing, Your classification is the average of the 6 highhest of the most recent 8 VALID classifiers. This and more is on the USPSA website.

JD, where are you located? If you shoot a match at our club and join USPSA at the match, you will not be charged a match fee that day. You also save $5 for every match thereafter.

Jim

Jim, you read the rules just as I do! The rule book states exactly what you said the first four set your class, then the best six after you have shot 8. The problem with this is that the Computer program they are using doesn't interpret it the same way! I shot my first 4 and was classed as D-open (no problem) then I shot 2 more and my class did not change but the computer still averaged all 6! Then I shoot the Area 8 and was beat by a guy that had only shot 5 classifiers which if they had been averaged the same way mine were, it would have put him as a C-class shooter. When I addressed this with the Match Director he agreed but went to Dave Thomas at Sedro Wooley and he said that was not the case and proceded to tell me how the system has been in place since 1990 and works without any problems. He then admits that the program should have not counted this guys 5th classifier even though mine were used.

I think that something has to be done as it appears that there is a problem. Another case in point. A friend of mine is a GM in Limited that he earned 8yrs ago and has not shot since! Since that point he switched over to Open and is currently only classified as a Master evn though he has posted GM classifiers. The reason he does not get GM is that they are judging his classifiers against what he shot in Limited 8 years ago!

Just my 2 cents :wacko:

Robert,

You have to read very carefully. Your first 4 set your class, regardless of what they are. That is, if you are a "B" shooter in Open and you decide to shoot revolver, you shoot 4 scores that are only 25%, you have a "D" average, but you still get a "C" Card because you can only be one class below your highest class. Now if your next scores submitted are not at least 35% (5% below the class bottom or greater) they will not count. So you could shoot a lot of classifiers to get your average moved up, the first 4 continue to count until they are finally wiped out by 6 newest VALID scores.

As to the situation at A8, I would have to look at his classifiers and your's to know what should or should not be counted. If his 5th classifer was within the class parameters, it should be counted, if it was not, then it should not be.

Jim

Simple way, shoot alot, shoot often, and they will take the top 6 valid ones.

Right now I am averagine 5-6 classifiers a month. I got my initial in One month, May get reclasified the 2nd month.